cannondale rush vs. kona dawg- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

cannondale rush vs. kona dawg

I would have to stick to the entry level or one step up. rush 400 or 600, and dawg or dawg deluxe. the 2007 dawgs are pretty nice. I don't know what the 2007 rushes are going to be like. Figure they will be out soon. They are basically both SP in function; the kona just has more pivots to worry about. rush 110 mm travel, dawg 120 mm travel. the spec on the dawg deluxe is quite a bit better than the dawg. where as the rush 600 is very similar to 400; the 600 just has the lefty( same one as the 1000). Would think about the heckler but it looks like they did away with the "inexpensive" complete they used to offer.

THANKS
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Comparing these two is like comparing a Prosche Boxster to a Jeep Rubicon. The Dawg is like the Rubicon, go anywhere do anything type of machine. The Rush is an XC race oriented rig. I have a Dawg Primo and it does everything well not awsome at any single thing but a true mlti-purpose machine that shines on it's stability. Just point it at the rough or a downhill and have a blast. Pretty nimble and climbs well for a bike with the slack head angle it has. The Rush is more tailored to the XC only type of ride. It won't be quite as stable in the rough and down hills but should climb and turn better. I wouldn't worry about the extra pivots on a Dawg it's a very tried and true spec and stands up well to abuse. Just keep them clean and greased and you shouldn't have problems. It would help if we new where and what type of terrain/style of riding you plan to do. From there you just have to test ride and see what feels best.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

ride hard take risks
    Dawg is it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I live in south Fl, so there are no real long climbs or long down hills. most climbs or down nills are short and steep with the trails mostly consisting of tight twisty single track with quite a bit of rocks and roots around. I have always liked the dawgs, but the rushes almost seem that they might be more adapt to south FL riding. There are a bit of freeride like drops and skinnies at some trails. I usually don't ride them but I would like to someday; hope a FS would give me the confidence too. I definately do not race and don't plan to.

Are you talking to me?

Florida?

Go with the Rush, for sure.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Just a point, Heckler is still available in the "cheap" build, either the D XC or D AM build is 1600 or so. you can check with an LBS, but speedgoat.com carries em too.

Matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Iron horse Azure comp or Giant Trance 3 would

make sense for Florida. I have only ridden in Jacksonville so maybe I don't understand what your trails are like but I would think a Dawg is overkill and heavy. Make sure you like the Rush, some of us have felt like we are sitting high above the bike rather than the bike is part of us. Everyone is different so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

The Giants are good too....

Quote Originally Posted by Poser
    make sense for Florida. I have only ridden in Jacksonville so maybe I don't understand what your trails are like but I would think a Dawg is overkill and heavy. Make sure you like the Rush, some of us have felt like we are sitting high above the bike rather than the bike is part of us. Everyone is different so YMMV.
    Those are two good suggestions and I agree that the Dawg might be overkill for FL terrain. I wouldn't call the Dawg too heavy, my Primo is an honest 30.1 lbs and is a medium (17) frame and it's tough to get a FS under 28 IMO.

As for the Rush, it's a good choice too but I shy away from such a propriatary set of parts. I looked at the Prophet when I was in the hunt and thought the Lefty was cool and all but in the end I like a bit more flexibility in the spec and ability to use any fork brand I like. I think if the Lefty was so much better than other "standard" forks it might be worth it but I don't think it has any real advantage over the competition. Just MO though. Now get out there and test ride! Words only go so far, you have to experience each choice.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your Dawg Primo is a thoroughbred, Leoparddog

He woudl be buying a Dawg or a Deluxe, my guess mutts are 3 to 5 lbs heavier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The reason I am interested in those two bikes is the two local LBS's suggetsted them. Kona dealer said the dawg is best suited for the area (i am a bit heavy for a kikapu), and the C'dale dealer says the rush is the best bet around here. The closest santacruz dealer is 1 1/2 hours away. I have thought about a trance. the trance 2 is nicely spec'd. but it out of my price range .

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I kinda doubt you're too heavy for a Kikapu and I would have recommended a Kikapu for the FL terrain if you liked the Kona's. Kikapu frames are pretty burly for an XC rig. That being said I ride my Dawg more like an XC bike than an all mountain machine and I have 0 complaints. If you feel comfortable on it or more comfortable on it than the Rush then buy it. It won't do you wrong and it's able to do more radical drops and decents than FL might have in the event you get into that somewhere. Go ride them and report back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have talked to a clyde who has broken the chain stays on his kikipu, it was fixed under warranty by kona. There is not any downhill in FL, but there are some trails with some nice drops. We do make the most out of what we have to work with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

That was likely fixed....

Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    I have talked to a clyde who has broken the chain stays on his kikipu, it was fixed under warranty by kona. There is not any downhill in FL, but there are some trails with some nice drops. We do make the most out of what we have to work with.
    Kona has redesigned and beefed up the rear triangles on Dawgs and I think Kikapu's recently. I believe 05 was the year of the change and guys that made warranty claims got 05 parts as a replacement/upgrade. Point is that might not be the concern it once was. Still though, ride the Dawg and the Rush but I wouldn't hesitate to throw a leg over the Kik
    and give it a whirl.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    I have thought about a trance. the trance 2 is nicely spec'd. but it out of my price range .
    you can always test ride the Trance 2 and if you like it, order a Trance 3 if that's more in your price range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cannondale Rush

Squeeze as much money as you can to get the best Rush you can. Otherwise you have to wait until it wears out!

Members who have read this thread: 0