mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Which Cannondale Frame Should I Use?

I'm building up another bike for my oldest son. I built one up several months ago using an old GT frame but he's grown a bit already and he's really getting into riding so time for another one. I picked up a 2008 Cannondale F5 cheap off Craigslist as a starting point. I tore it all down to the frame and was surprised to find that the geometry is almost identical to an old F2000 frame from 1999 that I have. The only difference is that the top tube on the F5 frame is about 2 inches longer. The older frame had a Headshock with a whopping 70mm of travel but the distance from the axle to the bottom of the headtube is the same as it is on the F5 setup with the Dart3 (which is getting tossed by the way). Both frames have the same seat tube length.

I'm wondering if the longer top tube makes much of a difference in how the bike will handle. I think the longer frame might be a little bit of a stretch for him but I'll use it if the bike will work better.

mtbr member
    if the actual reach is 2 inches longer, that is a HUGE difference in size. that is usually the difference between a small and a large frame. how are you measuring it? are you going by ETT or reach? (assuming you know what I mean by "reach"

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I finally got the older bike stripped down to the frame and the actual difference in the top-tube length is closer to 1 inch. The seat tubes, chain stays and seat stays are identical length. The older bike was originally an F3000 that was the same as the one Tinker Juarez rode in 1995 but after 2 warranty frame replacements and a change from a Fatty 60 to a Fatty 70 it's now just another old bike. Still has the Coda Magic cranks though. The old bike had a very long stem which put the bars further from the saddle than they were on the newer F5. I'm going to go with the older frame for now and see how he likes it.

By the way, if anybody wants a nice set of Onza HO brakes or a yellow Fatty 70 fork just let me know!