Cadillac MDS 2.4 / MFS 2.4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Cadillac MDS 2.4 / MFS 2.4

Hello,

I would like to get a few opinions on these two bikes linked below for the quality verses price. I will be a casual rider staying mostly on trails, paths, and streets. I won’t be riding in the swiss alps or entering the Tour de France.

Cadillac MDS 2.4 full suspension $399.99
    http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...lac-mds24-bike

Cadillac MFS 2.4 hard tail $359.99
    http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...lac-mfs24-bike

I have read what I can find on Cadillac bikes and I know the “controversy” surrounding first of all the fact that it is branded Cadillac, and secondly that they are really made by Kent bikes who apparently have a reputation for making cheap Wal Mart type $100 bikes. However the Cadillac bikes seem to have been made with better quality based on what I have read so far…and the frames come with a lifetime warranty.

What I don’t really know are how good are the specs listed on these for the prices, including that they both have front and rear disc brakes (to mention just one example, one has a Crankset that is a “Suntour CW-XCT- 22-32-42T BKx170mm”… I have no idea if that is quality or not).

So other than the Kent frames, if I was to walk into a bike store and get everything else the same on these bikes, should I expect to pay more, less, or the same? (I don’t actually have the luxury to buy from a bike store at this time).

Finally, for the hard tail vs full suspension decision, these both weigh the same (29.5 lbs), and the full suspension costs a little more. So are the part specs of the two bikes comparable in quality, or does the full suspension have slightly cheaper parts in order to have a full suspension at a lower price?

Basically, if I can't get a more well known brand bike for a similar price at a bike store, is this bike a good quality alternatve, or am I just better off buying a $100 WalMart bike?

Thanks in advance to any helpful replies!
    Last edited by Brogbac; 05-10-2010 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Spec wise those bikes look almost exactly what you would find being sold by Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, and any bike being sold for that price at a bike shop.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Permanent Noob
    Granted the specs aren't all that great, but their warranty:
    http://www.cadillacbikestore.com/warranty.htm

Might leave you out in the cold. Here's the quote.

FULL WARRANTY ON FRAME
    For the usable life of this cycle, Cadillac Bicycles will replace the frame at no charge, should it fail in any weld point when the cycle has been used in a normal manner, and determined by our inspection. Claims under this warranty must be made through an authorized Cadillac Bicycles dealer. Proof of purchase is required. A warranty registration card must be completed and received by Cadillac Bicycles before a warranty claim may be processed. Our warranties do not apply to any unit that has been abused, misused, altered by component parts, substitutions, or used for rental or other commercial uses. Labor charges incurred in the replacement of parts are not covered by this warranty.

CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSION APPLIES TO ALL CADILLAC BICYCLE MODELS. This warranty does not apply to any unit that has been used for stunt riding, bicycle moto-cross, dirt biking, or similar activities and all CADILLAC BICYCLES units are not designed or intended for such purposes or usages.

I'd be curious about what they consider a "normal manner" and their definition of "dirt biking."

Last I checked, most of the time my tires are rolling over... you guessed it! DIRT!

Having said that, if you're looking for something to get you started it looks better than a Wal-Goose in my opinion. I'd look closely for the "Do not go off-road or this bike will explode" sticker before dropping the cash. I figure if they feel obligated to put that on there that it really isn't safe for terrain rougher than the cracks in the sidewalk.
    I'm beginning to overcome my "momentum issues" but even that is happening slowly.

MTB Name - Crustius Maximus

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by JCullen
    I'd look closely for the "Do not go off-road or this bike will explode" sticker before dropping the cash.[/FONT]
    I think that sticker is hidden not so subtly in the wording of the warranty.

For a little more cash than the Caddy hardtail, I'd go to a local shop and get a hardtail in which the frame has a real lifetime warranty that covers actual mountain/dirt biking and doesn't have "Cadillac" in big bold decal letters. It will be spec'd about the same, maybe a little better, you'll get some fitting and adjustment help, you'll get some form of extended adjustment services (1yr, 5yrs, lifetime?) and you'll be supporting and establishing a relationship with a local business person in your local economy. A Win, Win, Win!

***EDIT*** I'd stay away from the Caddy full suspension or any other full suspension at that price.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Spec wise those bikes look almost exactly what you would find being sold by Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, and any bike being sold for that price at a bike shop.

I am not aware of any FS bikes in this price range from the brands you mention. Other than that, you are mostly correct in the spec comparison.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    May 2010
    edit: (accidental duplicate reply)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    As it turns out I might be able to get something at a local bike shop after all. So for quality all around, I would be better off spending $400-$500 at my LBS? They sell Trek, Canondale, and Gary Fisher (and a few others like Diamond Back and Haro I think). Any suggestions for my price range? I'm 36 years old, 5' 9", weigh 175 lbs.
    Last edited by Brogbac; 05-10-2010 at 08:41 PM.

On wuss patrol

Test rides

If your local shop has those brands, take a look and test ride:

Trek 3900 and 3900 Disc
    Gary Fisher Tarpon, Advance and Advance Disc
    Cannondale F8 (disc brakes) and F9 (rim brakes)

These are all at or a little over the budget range you named originally but perhaps there are some '09 closeouts or other discounts available. I think the Trek is spec'd the best overall but pick one that fits you best and that you are the most comfortable with.

Members who have read this thread: 0