Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    155

    cable rubbing on carbon frame!

    Hi

    I put electric tape over parts of the frame to stop it from rubbing through but i missed a bit and it come out with this white powder kind of substance i don't know what it is.

    I just wanted to know should I just keep on riding it or get it X - rayed my lbs said its fine but I am unsure.

    is the frame damaged or not I left it for 5 months with electric tape on it but thought I will ask you guys for advise.

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne

  2. #2
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    I'd start with the Jagwire Tube Top 4gs then get some 3m frame protections.

    https://www.ebikestop.com/jagwire_tu...ox4-CA2221.php

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    132
    http://bike-parts.pricepoint.com/sea...tor&asug=frame i got the inhouse brand works and looks good.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    155
    Thanks Guys

    I really want to know if the frame would get damaged or does the cable not rub through the carbon but only the paint and clear lacquer?

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne

  5. #5
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,615
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv
    Thanks Guys

    I really want to know if the frame would get damaged or does the cable not rub through the carbon but only the paint and clear lacquer?

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne
    If it just wore the clearcoat I would not worry about it. Can't tell without looking at it how much it wore through, but you said the bike shop looked at it and said it was fine.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    If it just wore the clearcoat I would not worry about it. Can't tell without looking at it how much it wore through, but you said the bike shop looked at it and said it was fine.
    Yer I went to the lbs to show them they did not look just said it was fine.

    So I was unsure so thought id ask you guys.

    I think it's just clear coating rubbed off at least I hope so as well!

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv
    Yer I went to the lbs to show them they did not look just said it was fine.

    So I was unsure so thought id ask you guys.

    I think it's just clear coating rubbed off at least I hope so as well!

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne
    If it's just a white powder you saw from the cable rub it is more than likely just clear coat. A quick fix to seal the carbon again is some clear nail polish. I would than use the 3m frame protector. Good stuff.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,749
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv
    I just wanted to know should I just keep on riding it or get it X - rayed my lbs said its fine but I am unsure
    To do serious damage the cable will have had to rub through the clear coat, paint (if there is any) and then the top layers of the carbon weave, which are both cosmetic and there to protect against that kind of damage.

    Without a good look at the frame it's only a guess, but it'll probably be fine. I third/fourth/fifth some lcear nail polish and then anti scratch tape over the mark.

  9. #9
    Rock and/or Roll
    Reputation: turbogrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    488
    If its the cable housing you're talking about, the clear coat is the only thing that could possibly be affected by rubbing. The carbon weave material is far stronger than any cable housing. I'd be surprised if even the steel cable could wear into the carbon. The things you need to be worried about are getting some bad chainsuck, and having that hardened steel chain rip through the carbon, when it gets wedged between the chainring and the frame.

    I'd personally be more worried about a cable rubbing against an aluminum frame.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,790
    "Helicopter Tape" is more economical than the small patches sold for cable rub.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    155

    Thanks

    Cheers everyone!

    I took the electric tape off and had a look. It's just a few deep scratches and i went to a load of LBS and asked them they said the laquer on carbon bikes is quite thick.


    Electric tape is alot cheaper and better the patches you buy in bike shops when they wear down thay're a nightmare to peel off!

    Thanks everyone!

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragnar.jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv
    Cheers everyone!

    Electric tape is alot cheaper and better the patches you buy in bike shops when they wear down thay're a nightmare to peel off!
    You could put some electrical tape under the patches. I do that with the reflective tape I have on my bikes, which otherwise would need a hot-air gun to remove.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

  13. #13
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,771
    3M Chip Guard

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.