Threading freely...

Buying used or new when on budget? What's a good deal? Any Bluebook out there?

I'm ready to buy my first fs bike, and my budget is capped at $2,500 tops. (Looking for something geared to Trail/AM.)

Would it make sense to get a "dream bike" about year old, or get the newest $2,500 bike?

One of the "dream" bikes was a Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon '10. Would you consider buying one of these used, less than a year old, in a decent custom built over a brand new aluminum Trek Fuel EX8 or Specialized FSR Stumpjumper/Enduro, or Cannondale Rizes (or whateer else out there in the $2500 or less range)?

Is there any bluebook prices for used bikes or a general rule of thumb? How does one go about figuring out what a fair price is?

Thanks for any input. I'm still pretty new at this. Started MTB in April with a Spesh Rockhopper, and a 1000 miles of riding later, I'm ready for something less rattling.....

mtbr member
    With an aluminum frame bike, I would consider buying used. If you find one in great shape and the right size. I would not buy a Trek carbon frame bike used as I don't think you will get the frame replaced if it fails. I have seem lots of carbon superfly frames being replaced at my LBS.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

TRANCER
    Like fesch said. Used i'd stick to aluminum. Especially for AM and or technical trails. Just my opinion.
    Ride

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What's rattling on the RockHopper? It's probably something that can be easily fixed...$2,500 bikes can rattle too.

Anyway, barely used on craigslist can be a great way to go because you can usually talk people way down. A lot of people make mistakes buying bikes and want to sell them before ever really using them. This is probably more so for the sub $1,000 range tho.

With $2,500, I'd look for closeouts on bikes at different bike shops across the country.

However, since you're new I'd definitely test out and demo a lot of bikes before pulling the trigger. You're dream bike today could turn out to be a bike that doesn't fit or satisfy you tomorrow. You don't want to spend $2,500 on the wrong bike and then sell it to me for $1,500 on CL

mtbr member
    Use Ebay for your Bluebook. It will always tell you what stuff is worth. I think you can buy some New Santa Cruz complete bikes for around $2500, with a lesser expensive build. The Nickle or the Butcher for example. It would be a good place to start and you can upgrade to better parts as needed. If I were buying a new FS bike, I would buy a SC Nickle.

Threading freely...
    Thanks for all the good advice. Much appreciated.

bank5, my Rockhopper isn't rattling.... it's my teeth. Between the hardtail and the Dart fork, it's a bit rough going downhill. While I've greatly improved my lines and my capacity to absorb shocks with a better stance, going down miles of fire road rocky like dried river beds or gnarly single tracks is exhausting and hard on my ageing body....

Regarding carbon, is it really a greater liability to get used in case of a problem later? I thought that in some ways, if the frame is in perfect shape, that carbon doesn't suffer from fatigue. Whereas an aluminum bike that's been ridden hard might look fine, but there could be much metal fatigue and trouble could be around the corner....

I'll check the Nickle, Shawn. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by polymathic

bank5, my Rockhopper isn't rattling.... it's my teeth. Between the hardtail and the Dart fork, it's a bit rough going downhill. While I've greatly improved my lines and my capacity to absorb shocks with a better stance, going down miles of fire road rocky like dried river beds or gnarly single tracks is exhausting and hard on my ageing body....

Oh ok, when I reread your post I realized that's what you meant. You'll love a FS then, definitely gets rid of the bucking back end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    With $2500, I'd be looking at new bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    New vs Used, I'd pay more attention to the warranty on each specific brand. For example, a bike with a 2 YR warranty for the original owner vs a bike with a lifetime frame warranty should differ in price IMO. People that buy bikes with a lifetime frame warranty are paying a premium for that warranty, whether they want to admit it or not. So, those bike companies bikes' used prices should go down in value more so than a bike with a 2 YR frame warranty. Just my $.02
    As far as used vs new, with a $2500 budget you can get a really nice NOS bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0