Buying a new bike but where to buy old model?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Buying a new bike but where to buy old model?

Hey guys,
    I used to ride when I was a little younger but I had a crappy generic bike and stopped riding. As my job as taken over my life and make me a lazy bum I wanted to get back out and start doing some riding again. I was looking at buying a Gary Fisher Wahoo in 2008 and liked that model. My gf actually ended up getting one from her father and I have ridden it and enjoyed it once again. As I'm looking to save on some money I'd like to buy the 2008 model I've ridden and enjoyed instead of dropping more money for the newer model. My problem is that I have no idea where to get the older models. Do I need to buy them used from someone or can I still can't a hand on one somewhere else? Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you'd be hard pressed to fin a 2008 model unless it was online. a google search should pull up whatever is available - if they exist. You might be able to find a 2009 leftover at the LBS or online. Better to test ride a bike unless you know the geometry specs of what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    you'd be hard pressed to fin a 2008 model unless it was online. a google search should pull up whatever is available - if they exist. You might be able to find a 2009 leftover at the LBS or online. Better to test ride a bike unless you know the geometry specs of what you are looking for.
    hmm ok. I know I liked the feel of the wahoo but I haven't tested others. I want the older model to save money. I can't really drop $500-$600 right now for one. Would must shops around me be able to get a hold of older models?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you'd have to find shops that have leftovers in stock. it is getting late in the spring to find much but who knows. I'd call around to some shops and see what they have in stock. the cheapest you might find though might be about $450 or so.

Do you have a Performance Bike shop by you? Ebay/Craigslist would be another option. Last, it is shady but you could test ride some bikes and find a few that you really like. Then use the geometry from those bikes to find a bike online. You'd really be "using" the LBS at that point but others do it too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That kinda sucks. The only new model i can really afford is the advance disc. Its nice but I like the 2009 Hoo Koo E Koo or Marlin Disc better. But I'm sure those are pricey even as leftover stock. Now I'm partial to GF because I've ridden a few and really liked them. But I don't know if there is something better for me at this point. What should I look at for a getting back into biking mind skill level?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    specialized, gt, trek, gf, etc. you can find nice bikes and probably the best deals from bikesdirect.com, pricepoint.com, etc.

keep hunting around for that deal. don't settle for a bike you don't like.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah I've been looking around. I'm trying to find some decent. I've found a Hoo Koo E Koo online for $500 but its ebay so you never know. Anyone ever ridden Trek 3900 Disc or GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc? Or Avalanche 2.0 Disc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    one of my buddies has a GT Avalanche and likes it. He isn't a hard core rider but whatever. The only downside is that the bike is heavy but that is to be expected. One thing is for sure, you'll never have to worry about braking the frame.

ebay is OK when you are buying from a seller with high feedback/positive scores. The 3900 is an OK bike too. bikesdirect would be the best bang/$ though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is motobecane a good company? I've never heard of them before. The 600DS and the 700DS are what strike my fancy but I've never heard of them before. As I'm just starting back into things I don't need a crazy bike. But I would like one that will be able to handle road riding and trail riding. Will either 600 or 700 DS be a good fit or what?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have never ridden/owned one. Just know a lot of guys on here have bought them and liked them. At this pricepoint, I think all frames are about the same quality, give or take. The components are what brings the cost up. Worst case scenario, you'll have to drop $100 on another frame in a few years. Try posting about them or searching for feedback.

Members who have read this thread: 0