Buying a frame or frame and fork... but where?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Buying a frame or frame and fork... but where?

I've only ever bought complete bikes. Now, I'm thinking of buying a frame and fork and building the bike I want. But... not ever having done this - where do I start? Should I be looking for a frame or frame and fork (like a Fox 32)? Who does and who doesn't sell just the frames? Looking at Trek, Specialized, ect., there's no info on buying a frame.

Any suggestions are hugely appreciated.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    I've only ever bought complete bikes. Now, I'm thinking of buying a frame and fork and building the bike I want. But... not ever having done this - where do I start? Should I be looking for a frame or frame and fork (like a Fox 32)? Who does and who doesn't sell just the frames? Looking at Trek, Specialized, ect., there's no info on buying a frame.

Any suggestions are hugely appreciated.
    Trek and Specialized are only sold through dealers...go by your local LBS that carries these brands and talk to them.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Have you considered bikesdirect? You can find something as good as the biggest and best companies in the industry for way less.

mtbr member
    competitive cyclist sells all their mountain bikes as frames - i think speedgoat and wrench science do the same.

a word of caution: building a bike yourself, especially if you want higher end parts, will be significantly more expensive then buying a complete bike. however, buying it piece by piece is more fun and you get exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    a word of caution: building a bike yourself, especially if you want higher end parts, will be significantly more expensive then buying a complete bike. however, buying it piece by piece is more fun and you get exactly what you want.
    Yeah... this is the tough part. If my current bike were just toast, I'd go the complete bike route... probably. But, I just replaced the worn out LX drivetrain with new XT (crank, BB, chain, cassette). Seat, seatpost, tires, also replaced. But this does leave LX shifters, brakes, crap wheels and a Reba SL (not bad but a bit heavy) fork.

So, a new complete bike would make the recent drivetrain upgrades (repairs) somewhat of a waste. However, I don't want to throw "good money after bad" either.

Thanks guys.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    specialized des sell frames only but only their higher end bikes and, then, only their higher end models.

mtbr member
    I've generally seen some pretty nice frame/fork deals at Jenson. For example, I just saw this one today, 09 Yeti ARC and Fox F100 RLC for $1399.
    The Race Bike: 2014 Specialized Camber Evo XX1

Members who have read this thread: 0