Buy once cry once - On One Inbred, Scandal, or 456?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Buy once cry once - On One Inbred, Scandal, or 456?

I am 6' 1", 170lbs, and ride aggressive xc/trail. I need to replace a KHS Team Softtail frame (squishy CrMo rear end with an elastomer shock) that cracked at the seatstay, where it was bent back into shape. It felt right in terms of sizing and steering speed.

Being a student, I want a frame that will last as from $270-350 any of these frames is a big investment for me. I would spend less but that hasn't worked well in the past.

I need the frame to work with my X-Fusion Velvets, which will go from 80-120mm. I had them set at 100mm with the KHS, and didn't use all of the travel frequently, but as my skills improve, I see the need for 120mm.

A hardtail appeals to me as I appreciated the softtail's pedaling efficiency and climbing ability compared to an older Titus Racer X I had, but am torn as to which of the three frames I should buy. I will be swapping my old 3x9 components and 26" wheels, so keep that in consideration. Any input on this matter is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The on-ones have a big following over here in the Uk, cheap but good value for money.
    If your more xc then look to scandal/inbred.
    If your more hard riding then look at the 456.