Build Kit Advice - Helping a Friend Buy a Bike- Mtbr.com
    a.k.a. MTBMaven

New question here. Build Kit Advice - Helping a Friend Buy a Bike

A good friend of mine approached my the other day telling me he wanted to buy a mountain bike. He showed me a few bike he looked at and I was concerned. His budget was less than $1,000, which always means around $1,000 to me. I began to look around to see what I could find. I am a self proclaimed bike snob so I could not let him get an el cheapo bike with crap parts. After a little searching on the web I found a Giant Reign 3 frame, two good looking forks and a SRAM x.7 Disc build-kit for between $1,150 and $1,235 depending on the fork. Keep in mind a few things, the frame has 6" of travel and this person is a beginner. However he rides a motorcycle and will likely pick things up rapidly.

I am concerned I might be going overboard. Take a look a the parts list below, I'm interested in feedback.

Frame Giant 05 Reign 3 $400.00
    Fork 05 Manitou Nixon Comp (145mm) $200.00
    SRAM x.7 Disc Built Kit: $550.00

Wheelset Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset $550.00
    w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims
    Front Brake Avid BB7 Mechanical 160mm
    Rear Brake Avid BB7 Mechanical 160mm
    Brake Levers Avid FR5
    Crankset Truvativ Firex SL
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ Giga Pipe SLLT
    Chain Sram PC-950
    Cassette Included 11-34
    Headset Dia Compe Aheadset AL
    Stem Sette Edge 90mm
    Handlebar Sette XLR 25.4mm Low Riser
    Grips Included
    Seatpost Included
    Saddle Sette IXA Gel Chromoly Rail
    Front Derailleur Included
    Rear Derailleur Included
    Shifter Sram X.7 Trigger
    Shifter Cable Jagwire E-Series Cable w/ Housing
    Cable Housing Included
    Front Tire IRC Mythos XC
    Rear Tire IRC Mythos XC

Total $1,150.00

The optional fork is a 05 Marzocchi Z.1 Freeride 3 (150mm) for $280 versus $200 for the Manitou.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    1) unless you are willing to dish out the extra cash, do not recomend he go over budget unless you absloultey are possitive he needs too, and that he will stick with the sport. You dont want him regretting anything later on.

2) i am sure you checked, but if that Reign frame is at Wheel World, it is pick up only, and they disassemble the bike, so they may or may not have em in stock.

3) Build kit looks good, but may I suggest : http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3309 or http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3830
    they are both 600, so along with that reign frame you are looking at 1000 bucks. Fork will be ok for a bit, but if he doesnt want it(or you dont want it) sell it on ebay. you should get 150 bucks out of it, at least, and then add a 50 and get the nixon. or find a nixon on ebay...

Good luck

Matt

mtbr member
    maybe your friend should consider ibex bikes. they only sell online but they offer a lot of bike for the $$$. if your friend is just starting its probably better to buy a complete bike. buying the frame, fork, parts separately then assembling it all is just gonna be wasted time and money.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-COMP-Details.html

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    maybe your friend should consider ibex bikes. they only sell online but they offer a lot of bike for the $$$. if your friend is just starting its probably better to buy a complete bike. buying the frame, fork, parts separately then assembling it all is just gonna be wasted time and money.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-COMP-Details.html
    For their target market Ibex bikes does deliver a good value for the money. However looking at the bike in your link, with a sale price of $999, IMO the build I put together is a better bike for only $230. A small price to pay for someone who has the money. The build I put together has a more travel (6" vs. 90mm), some would argue a better design, the wheelset is better (XT and Mavic EX325 vs. M525 and Sun DS-2 XC), and the fork is better (Marzocchi Z.1 Freeride 3 vs. Manitou Splice Air) and has more travel (150mm vs. 100mm). Note I am working with Price Point to switch out the build kit wheelset for one with a 20mm front axle (the price difference is $30).

I also think the build focuses on parts that matter like fork, wheelset, and drivetrain. I would like to see hydraulic brakes but most kits had Hayes and I personally hate Hayes (no modulation), I would prefer to see LX cranks, and a Cane Creek S2 or FSA Pig headset, but for the most part these parts will more that satisfy the needs of my friend. The tires that come with the build kit will never be mounted as I have some Kenda Nevegal 2.35 he can use. He will likely replace the saddle, and a larger front rotor may be in order once he discovers speed. Things like stem, seatpost, and handlebar are all pretty much the same except for weight and brand name unless you do big drops (this coming from a guy who has almost every bling part possible on his bike.
    Last edited by mtnfiend; 07-31-2006 at 08:53 PM.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Or you can just pick this up for under 1k (technically) and save some time/effort. He can upgrade as components wear out. http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2972

Freshly Fujified

I like the build

I say go for it, and definitely get the Marzocchi fork with the 20mm thru axle. Bummer you can't get a sealed cartridge headset, but everything else looks good.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I agree about the headset. I might see about paying the extra $ for the Cane Creek S2. It's only like $10.

Given the Z.1 and XT/Mavic EX325 wheelset for only $230 I haven't yet been convinced the build kit was a bad choice

mtbr member

Khs Am2000

mtnfiend, how about another option ?? : http://www.khsbicycles.com/01_am_2000.htm for $1100. We've got a few remaining. I think it's a steal at this price and the build kit is solid. Let me know if you have any other questions.

later, Chad

Members who have read this thread: 0