build, buy or swap and sell?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

build, buy or swap and sell?

i purchased a 2006 Jamis Dakar this year to replace my stolen 04' rockhopper. When i was shopping around for the new bike i decided on the dakar felling that it was the best bang for the buck to get started in FS XC bike which fits my needs, the weight and loss of power through the rear suspension wasnt much of a draw back since most of my riding is to lose weight.

now i do really enjoy my dakar but i really miss the ride i got out of my rochopper, it was lighter faster and more comfortable. ive been checking ebay regularly for th 04 rock hopper frame but im not really comfortable with buying a used frame off ebay, i dont want a cracked POS..

this leads to my current delema, i have looked around and am trying to decided a IBEX trophy frame or a sette raken, im leaning towards teh ibex sinces its a lb lighter and has a ebtter head angle for climbing plus i dont really need 100mm of fork travel for the purpose of this bike..

now would i be better off building from scratch or swapping parts off the dakar and sell the dakar frame to counter the cost and fund upgrades?

or would i be better off shopping around for a higher end built hardtail?

my only beef about getting a built bike is that i have a good idea of what components i would like and havent found a built bike with the right recipe..

parts im looking for

air sprung fork like a fox or manitou under 4 lbs
    either xt, xtr, or sram x9 or x0 shift/cassette/derailer setup
    avid single digit 7 v-brakes (lighter then disc, disc is over kill for intended use)
    raceface dues stem/bars/cranks/headset/seat post
    cane creek zonos ss wheel set

then finish it with xc semi slick tires, grips, light cables ect..

the build with these components would be over 2,500 weight would be around 22 lbs if built with IBEX trophy frame and XTR

so is there a bike out there that i could purchase built for less that would be close to this spec?

ride hard take risks
    Ibex

Members who have read this thread: 0