mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Budget Steel Frames.

Looking at the SOMA Groove and Kona Explosif for similar dollars (under $450) Any others I ought to consider? Anyone know where I can view a geometry chart on Kona's?

AR

The geometry for the Kona is buried in a PDF catalog on their site.

You might consider the Salsa Ala-Carte for about two bills more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ive had both

the kona is a little more woodsy. probably a better tube set. used to be anyway. the soma is a little longer, little lower, and probably a little heavier. but it has a little more flex/give to it. it isn't fancy, has eyelets for racks, etc. but rides nice. i hit my pedals alot with that frame. rode it ridgid, and wasn't disappointed. i'd go with the explosive if you are riding in techical stuff. has a tighter wheelbase, and a higher bottom bracket. has disc tabs and i think it has adjustable dropouts if you want to single speed it, which in my book ruined a good xc frame, but now they just change the paint and the replaceable drop out and they have a unit frame, so it was cheaper for kona that way. both have goofy decals, but that is a personal issue for me, not a knock on the the product. can't go wrong with either. both make good, functional mtbs. quality may have the salsa frames in leftover model years to fit you, which would be nicer, and not much more. ask your local shop. kona also offers their alloy bike frames to dealers, and you may be able to pick up a light weight caldera or something for even less than the explosive. and then i looked at the heading of your post, and you wanted steel...
    Last edited by olds_cool; 12-15-2004 at 08:17 PM. Reason: ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rocky Mountain Blizzard

I test rode both the Kona and the Blizzard. Ended up buying the Blizzard (it was only $50 more than the Kona). It is by far the best riding bike I have ever owned. Not to mention it's handbuilt out of 853 and powdercoated with a really nice white to gray maple leaf fade.

-J

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blizzard.

So, do you know where a Blizzard frame can be had? How much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

A geometry question.

You say the Soma is longer than the Kona? I thought that Soma's were supposed to be pretty short? How is the fit? I have never been a fan of really long top tubes. I used to have an Ibis that measured at a 22.25 effective top tube and that fit me really well.I agree with you on the funkines of those replacable dropouts on the Explosive.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by olds_cool
    the kona is a little more woodsy. probably a better tube set. used to be anyway. the soma is a little longer, little lower, and probably a little heavier. but it has a little more flex/give to it. it isn't fancy, has eyelets for racks, etc. but rides nice. i hit my pedals alot with that frame. rode it ridgid, and wasn't disappointed. i'd go with the explosive if you are riding in techical stuff. has a tighter wheelbase, and a higher bottom bracket. has disc tabs and i think it has adjustable dropouts if you want to single speed it, which in my book ruined a good xc frame, but now they just change the paint and the replaceable drop out and they have a unit frame, so it was cheaper for kona that way. both have goofy decals, but that is a personal issue for me, not a knock on the the product. can't go wrong with either. both make good, functional mtbs. quality may have the salsa frames in leftover model years to fit you, which would be nicer, and not much more. ask your local shop. kona also offers their alloy bike frames to dealers, and you may be able to pick up a light weight caldera or something for even less than the explosive. and then i looked at the heading of your post, and you wanted steel...

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

doesn't get much more budget than this...

I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by allroads
    So, do you know where a Blizzard frame can be had? How much?
    Go to www.bikes.com and search for a local dealer. I think the frames are between 450 - 500 USD. Keep in mind this year the Blizzards don't have V-brake mounts, they are disc-only.

As for the funkyness of the Explosif dropouts, that was a selling point for me. I just had to toss my beloved old steel frame because the dropout broke, and didn't want to do that again. Plus down the line I can convert to SS, or easily add disc brakes. Works for me.

You can look at an Ionic Steelhead too (www.ionicbikes.com), but you'll have to wait a little for the frame. However, they'll build it however you want it - no V-brake mounts, with mounts, replaceable dropout, fixed dropout, or even custom geometry. Plus you can order parts through them for prices that will embarrass JensonUSA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can't beat this price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...122258067&rd=1

I have this bike built up and love it.Also rode a Rocky Mountain and came pretty close to buying it, but wasn't fully on board with the sloping top tube, but that's just a personal thing of mine.

Another frame I almost went for was the Zion 853. Made with Reynolds 853 tubing, and it looks awesome in black. Only $399.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FR606A00

Gotta love steel hardtails!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    they have soma groove frames for $320 at cambriabike, reynolds 631, reviewed in latest mba, 4.25 Ibs for the 19" frame.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

16" 2003 explosif

I just found out that we will be moving soon. I have too many bikes to move. I am willing to part with my 2003 size 16 kona explosive bike for $750 plus shipping. It's disc ready, XT & race face parts. MX 80 fork. A few scratches on the chain stays.