mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Bronson versus Capra

so, I got a great deal on a 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson 2.1 c R1 build. Itís a large frame. Unfortunately I think the frame is a bit small for me, and if Iím going to go with an xl (for the first time ever) Iím also thinking Iím going to move up to a 29er wheel.

The 2018 YT Capra AL comp 29er looks like a bad ass bike to me. I bet I can sell my Bronson for $3k and Buy the YT for $3k too. However, a part of me thinks I may be totally crazy giving up a bronson Ė one of the best trail bikes out there despite it being a bit small for me.

Im 6í1Ē ó do I simply make it work and be slightly uncomfortable or do I try the bigger Capra?

and, do you guys think Iím crazy for moving from the Santa Cruz to the YT? All my friends tell me Iím nuts.

mtbr member
    When you consider how amazing most bikes are these days, the Bronson isn't all that amazing. Or even standout. Don't get me wrong, the whole sc brand makes good bikes, but they're not doing anything you can't get somewhere else.

Add in it being too small, and I think you'd be crazy to keep it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thank you. Iíve been needing someone to push me to do it. My local friends tell me I canít pass up the Bronson and learn to love it lol. The Capra looks very similar with geometry but add two inches of reach and 10mm more travel. Seems to be the way to go. Iíll only be giving up the carbon and moving to the alloy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrumroy View Post
    Thank you. Iíve been needing someone to push me to do it. My local friends tell me I canít pass up the Bronson and learn to love it lol. The Capra looks very similar with geometry but add two inches of reach and 10mm more travel. Seems to be the way to go. Iíll only be giving up the carbon and moving to the alloy.
    deciding on which bike is "better", or at least more attractive to you is one thing.

making a bike too small work for you is a whole other deal.

if the bronson is uncomfortable (and not just smaller hence "poppier" or "more flickable"etc.), then change bikes.

in the long run a bike not your size can lead to a lot of physical problems like back and knee pain or saddle sores and stuff like that.

why not try and and swap with a bigger bronson frame? the 2018s are on sale now and it wouldn't set you back too much. you could get a good deal somewhere.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Iím literqlly in a knee brace right now and seeing a chiropractor for my lower back pain lol. Wondering if all that gradual soreness from long rides is being caused by a small hunching over the bars.

And I would get a another 2018 Bronson but I also kind of want to move to a 29er without spending more money (my wife about killed me when I bought the Bronson in the first place).

If I can sell my Bronson for $3k I can get a new CPra for $3k and have an even trade off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stepping-razor View Post

if the bronson is uncomfortable (and not just smaller hence "poppier" or "more flickable"etc.), then change bikes.

This Bronson is he most Poppy quick fun bike ever high. It feels like a bmx bike on trails that can somehow go down mountains and rock gardens lol. However, I do think I want a bigger feel too, Iím not sure if I want to feel like Iím riding a bmx bike for long distances.

mtbr member
    I think my orbea occam might be just a bit too large, but only very slightly.

It's the most poppy, flickable fun bike I've ever owned. I raced bmx competitively for years as a kid, but that really doesn't translate over to fs bikes.

I think when you're stretched out and not all cramped, your body is better positioned to manuver a suspension bike.

It's worth test riding a larger bike. You might be surprised to find all the fun is still there, plus more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    get the correct size carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    and a real doctor, not one with a degree in pseudoscience