mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Broken Specialized Epic Frame

I bought a second hand 2016 Specialized Epic about a year and a half ago and the other day, while riding a very easy section of trail, the seat tube broke off at the top. I did not crash or even hit a bump, it just broke off, leaving my ass to ride on the back tire for a while. I contacted Specialized and since I am the second owner, I am completely SOL despite the fact that the frame is only 2 years old. I can't warranty the frame, I can't get a crash replacement and they won't sell me a frame. I checked several carbon repair places and it appears that this can't really be fixed either or, at the least, they won't guarantee the work due to where the break is. I also went to a couple of local bike shops and they all said they couldn't do anything with Specialized's blessing.

I seem to have no options.

Does anyone have any industry connections that could help me out or know of some option that I haven't thought of? This is my primary way of de-stressing and I don't make very much money, so I can't just replace expensive things like this. I suppose I will likely have to take this a an expensive "lesson learned", but I'm hoping someone out there knows something I don't.

Photos of the damage:
    https://imgur.com/a/6MGoifr

Thanks
    James

SS Pusher Man
    You buy a bike second hand.....you save a bunch of money. With that $$$ savings....comes at a cost. No warranty, no manufacturer support.

Some manufacturers are better about this than others. Specialized is special....you couldn't pay to ride one of their bikes.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Magically Delicious
    It's Specialized! Getting good at Specialized treatment is what make s them so special.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    It's Specialized! Getting good at Specialized treatment is what make s them so special.
    You're not the first person I have talked to who made this joke. Does Specialized have a reputation for having crappy service?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Carbon is not hard to work with (although that is quite a break), educate yourself via you-tube and see what's possible.

If you don't need a dropper; you could epoxy/carbon-cloth a carbon seat post in there in a fixed position - just make sure to get it straight before the epoxy dries .

Chinese carbon frames are a viable option for frame replacement when warranty is not an option. There's pages and pages on the 29er frames forum, and some of the newer fs frames look pretty cool. A $250+- carbon hardtail frame would get you back on the trail with plenty of time to work on the Epic.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    That statement is the intellectual property of Specialized (and is proprietary for no real reason). Their lawyers will be in contact soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It seems to me that a good carbon repair place could fix that easily by bonding in an aluminum sleeve/seatpost shim. It would mean you would need to use a smaller diameter seatpost. It looks like you didn't have enough seatpost shaft in the frame. The seatpost actually looks like its been shortened.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    It looks like you didn't have enough seatpost shaft in the frame. The seatpost actually looks like its been shortened.
    That appears to be exactly what I was thinking. If that is correct, then I think this is user error. Assuming this is the case.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    It seems to me that a good carbon repair place could fix that easily by bonding in an aluminum sleeve/seatpost shim. It would mean you would need to use a smaller diameter seatpost. It looks like you didn't have enough seatpost shaft in the frame. The seatpost actually looks like its been shortened.
    That appears to be exactly what I was thinking. If that is correct, then I think this is user error. Assuming this is the case.

Yep, have a carbon repair outfit do a repair and use an appropriate length seat post.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Out spokin'
    The seatpost actually looks like its been shortened.
    Exactly my first thought. Hey OP, I don't know how tall you are but if that post wasn't sunk deep into the frame, it certainly isn't Specialized's fault the frame broke at that spot. Sorry to say it like it is (rather as it may be).
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

Never trust a fart
    Not enough seatpost in the frame caused that break. Even if you did buy it new, it would be a crash replacement.

Frames are usually avail for retail sale, but they are normally the S-works frame, not the lower model frames. So if you want to pony up for a an S-works, contact your local Specialized dealer.

And it's not Specialized's fault they won't do anything for you on a 2nd hand bike. Most manufacturers would probably say the same thing. Sorry about your luck.