mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Bottom Bracket Bolts Scratched on Brand New Bike

I bought a new Cannondale Full Suspension and when checking the serial number I noticed both bolts near the cranks have scratches all the way around. REI dealer took apart the bracket (said Cannondale assembled) and said it is cosmetic but noticed a warped washer they are replacing. How significant are these scratches and should I work to get the bolts replaced or no big deal? (Photo now added in Reply below)
    Last edited by yauger; 01-12-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Trail Ninja
    Could it just be marks from tools used to install the parts?

I'm guessing the warped washer is a wave washer, which acts as a spring to keep light preload on the dust seals, which should be reused.

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  13.7 KB

Honestly don't even know where to look to know what you're talking about without a picture... there's 2 "bolts" viewable by the cranks, from the perspective of reading the serial #?

Bottom Bracket Bolts Scratched on Brand New Bike-cannondale_trigger_35-640x427.jpg
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by yauger View Post
    I bought a new Cannondale Full Suspension and when checking the serial number I noticed both bolts near the cranks have scratches all the way around. REI dealer took apart the bracket (said Cannondale assembled) and said it is cosmetic but noticed a warped washer they are replacing. How significant are these scratches and should I work to get the bolts replaced or no big deal? (not sure how to post photos here)
    Yeah, that's a wave washer, and you need that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    thank you varaxis and le duke. here is a picture of what i am calling bolts, looks like wear marks from wrong size tool.[x=https://s347.photobucket.com/user/Rex_Yauger_Williams/media/20171230_111002_zpsrtwaaxxy.jpg.html][/URL]

mtbr member
    That's horrendous. They owe you a new bb for shure, but have somebody competent install it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    thanks for the feedback whalenard, much appreciated.

Trail Ninja
    That bottom bracket assembly is $25, for both cups. That cup houses the bearing which your crank spindle spins on. It's a FSA MegaEXO BB (Shimano-compatible).

Just seems like it's only the the edges that are a bit chewed up, which can affect the fit of a tool for removal/installation (which doesn't seem to be a prob, considering the dealer did it). Can use a tool like a Knipex Cobra if the standard tool doesn't work. Shouldn't have any noticable effect on function/performance.

$25 and maybe 15 mins of labor is a small price for them to pay to get ya a shiny new BB if that's what it takes to make ya happy, especially if you paid full price. If you got it discounted for well more than $25, well, it's only a $25 problem you can learn to fix on your own if it bothers ya. Hard to sympathize with a buyer in the latter case.

Bottom Bracket Bolts Scratched on Brand New Bike-bb212q00-black.jpg

This replacement BB option is $19: Shimano XT BB-MT800 Bottom Bracket | Jenson USA

Pick one of the following tools for removing and installing them (they'll both work, but the bottom one can be used with a torque wrench and breaker bar, though it might not work on that chewed up cup):
    Shimano TL-FC32 BB Cup Installation Tool | Jenson USA
    Birzman Hollowtech II BB Tool | Jenson USA

Typical procedure for doing the task:

Figure supplying you with knowledge is better than social judgment from bullies trying to shame retailers and derailing the thread, or trying to get you to man-up and not shame your generation somehow. xD

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    wow, cool thanks varaxis... i appreciate your informative reply with the value involved, how to change it, and tools/parts. i think i will ask the dealer so its easy to remove, and i am surprised they sold it that way.

Trail Ninja
    Shops routinely offer "scratch-and-dent" discounts. They don't throw away usable parts, especially if the parts have seen no use and just have aesthetic damage. I once visited a bike shop, which has won numerous Bike Shop of the Year awards, as they were opening one day, and they were wheeling bikes that were just leaning haphazardly in the walkways inside, to display outside. Handlebars crossing other bikes' top tubes, rear derailleurs leaning on things... I'm sure that they forget to be gentle when picking them up and go, "oh, guess we gotta mark that one down" and casually wheel 'em outside, feeling no guilt. These are $3500+ bikes too... xD

In contrast, another shop not too far, that also wins awards, just ebays the parts (perhaps through consignment). These guys are more of a concept store, with big glass walls and contemporary color scheme, compared to the outdoor outfitter style of the other store. I suppose you're expecting more of this kind of service?

If anyone's curious, I'm speaking of The Path in Tustin and Rock and Road Cyclery in Mission Viejo (indoor 360 degree tours).

mtbr member
    I'd like to see how bad it is, but please use something other than photobucket to host your photo. I can't see the pic. Photobucket is the worst!

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, if I dig, I can find some really small, fuzzy pictures that vaguely show what you're talking about. But I can't blow them up at all, so they're worse than useless. Photobucket sucks.

Honestly, I think you're better off using the crappy photo uploader on this website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    thank you all for your suggestions and wisdom. resolved with your help, after discussion dealer agreed to replace part. much learned and will flip bike over next time before leaving store. also will use different photo uploader.