mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Bike for a XC maraton stage race

Hi all,
    I will be doing a XC 6 days stage race. An average of 70km(45miles) and 2500mts (8000ft) elevation per day. (one stage with 60miles (100km) and 3500mts (11400ft) elevation
    I already did some stage races but with less km and more technical (BC Bike Race) where my all mountain Yeti SB5 was perfect.
    My question: Can I go to this race with an anthem advanced 27.5Ē (XC/trail bike)? or should I go with a more XC marathon bike like the specialized Epic or anthem 29Ē pro?
    I donít race to compite, just to enjoy the race, but I donít want to have extra suffer because the bike is not the adecuate.
    Of course I will train with the bike that I will chose. ( I am 5.5ft(168cm) tall and 67kg weight (147lb)
    Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have seen similar threads and if you list this under endurance racing forum I think you will get a lot of responses but they will vary widely. My experience...I raced several hundred milers and marathons on an Epic WC and Niner jet 9 carbon. Have also done 3 week bike packing race on a hardtail Lynskey. Now on a carbon Trek Procal. Of all the bikes so far I would take the Procaliber. Whether it is the geometry or the xr4 tires I cannot say but it is the most stable of all my bikes downhill, at technical standstills and through the corners all of which helps when you are tired. It is also by far the fastest up hill even with heavy tires and wheels and look at the amount of climbing your stages entail. I am almost your exact size and this proaliber is very comfortable and most of your time will be spent climbing anyway so you should not get pounded too much. Then...I have had pivot bolts come loose on my full suspensions and shock issues during races. If you ride through mud and rain you can also expect to do more maintenance on your bike during hours you could be recovering. If you were racing lots of high speed flats on rough rocky trail where you must sit and pedal hard a full suspension would be your best choice but you have a heck of a lot of climbing. Lost of slow speed grinding followed by fast standing downhills. Just my thoughts. Best of luck to you Cacho and do repost in the endurance forum and I am sure you will get more responses.