mtbr member
    May 2017

Bike Suggestions - HALP!

So I live in northern Canada and ride everything varying from trail riding to shuttling trips.

My issue is that I rarely can find a stock bike that has everything I am looking for (I know a bit of a tall order) so I figured I would reach out to you guys to see what you would suggest.

I am a 205lb rider that rides aggressively which begs a few component concerns for me:
    Brakes - Usually stock stoppers on a bike dont have enough oomph
    Fork - Fox 36 or bust, i kinda feel most other forks are flexy
    Wheels - I am hard on wheels but ultimately will run cush core inserts as i have been

My price range Im looking in is from about 6.5k-10kcdn (5k to 8k USD). I would like to keep this lower than higher but I have had my eye on the nomad, granted the RS fork and shock have me kinda going ehhhhhh for the price point.

The new Capra looks quite tasty, an SB6 with different stoppers would be nice.

What other bikes would you guys suggest?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you've been riding enough and know what you like, so, with that sort of budget, I'd definitely recommend you build from scratch and spec all the parts you like on the frame you like.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Check out the Guerilla Gravity Megatrail

Parts- they will spec anything you want if you speak with them over email or phone.

fork- I have a MRP ribbon and I love it (also comes in coil).

if you have any questions head on over to the Guerilla Gravity sub forum, or shoot me a pm.

happy bike hunting

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Rocky Mountain Slayer is one to consider. Pedals very well. Loving mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by caldog View Post
    Rocky Mountain Slayer is one to consider. Pedals very well. Loving mine.

How heavy of a rider are you if i may ask? I am skeptical of single piston brakes so those guides would likely have to go and for this price i could go with a yeti sb6 and swap to hopes on it for the price of the slayer 70. Nice bike though for sure

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Sounds like you've been riding enough and know what you like, so, with that sort of budget, I'd definitely recommend you build from scratch and spec all the parts you like on the frame you like.
    Thing is usually its cheaper to buy a bike with most of the kit you want then swap a few parts from what i see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruetters View Post
    How heavy of a rider are you if i may ask? I am skeptical of single piston brakes so those guides would likely have to go and for this price i could go with a yeti sb6 and swap to hopes on it for the price of the slayer 70. Nice bike though for sure
    The guides are actually 4 piston brakes. This is the first time I've run SRAM Guides... Previously had Maguras... I only have about 100 miles so far on them but like them and they have plenty of stopping power for me... 170lbs geared up.

SB6 is a rad bike. I just didn't like 2 things about the sb6, the extra complexity of switch infinity and yet another thing to grease + no water bottle mount inside the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by caldog View Post
    The guides are actually 4 piston brakes. This is the first time I've run SRAM Guides... Previously had Maguras... I only have about 100 miles so far on them but like them and they have plenty of stopping power for me... 170lbs geared up.

SB6 is a rad bike. I just didn't like 2 things about the sb6, the extra complexity of switch infinity and yet another thing to grease + no water bottle mount inside the frame.

Good to know, my ride weight is about 210lbs so quad piston are a necessity for me.

Im not worried about a water bottle mount as i prefer a small hydrapack when riding and throwing a bit of lube on those sliders isnt a huge concern to me.