mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Which Bike Should I Get?

Ok. So I just started riding my local wooded trail. Itís a pretty good mixture of terrain. Some smooth, some hills, jumps, descents, climbs. I purchased a fezzari 27.5 hardtail and just not loving it. Iím not sure if itís the tire size or hardtail. It definitely beats me up pretty good on the trail. Today I landed and my handlebars came loose and I busted my a** lol. I weight 225lb so not sure if maybe a full suspension would suit me better? Anyways, I am looking at returning the bike I have and either getting the Giant Fathom 1 29 HT or the fezzari wiki Peak 27.5 plus full suspension. Any info or guidence would be awesome. I have been googling for the passed two weeks and havent really been able to find any answers. Also open to other recommendations. Both of those companies offer financing which I prefer so thatís why I chose those. Thanks

https://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bikes/wiki-peak

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-29-1

Barely in control
    The things that soften a hardtail are large volume tires at lower pressure, an aggressive position so all your weight isn't mashed on the saddle, and good fitness where you're putting down a lot of power and floating your grundle over the seat. Since you're new to this and kinda big I would recommend that full suspension. Aluminum frame will be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your Fez doesn't have a fork meant for more than bike paths. The Suntour fork just has 1 spring inside. At your budget I'd look for a good hardtail. 29/27.5+ not just 27.5. That fs has another junk fork. Or as close as you can get. The Fathom has skinny rims and tires. A Trek Stache 5 would be a good choice. Wide tires and rims and a good Manitou air fork.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Last years wonderbike is this years best deal, shop around for closeouts.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for the replyís

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have the chance to purchase a 2017 Specialized Epic Hardtail 29er. Like New condition. $1000. Would this be a good bike for me? And it seems like a good deal. He said he paid over $2,000 out the door. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That bike has 'old school' XC race geo with a steep head tube angle. Things are more relaxed now. You need to concentrate on the front tire tracking to be happy on that bike, imo. All the time on downs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    That bike has 'old school' XC race geo with a steep head tube angle. Things are more relaxed now. You need to concentrate on the front tire tracking to be happy on that bike, imo. All the time on downs.
    Ahh I gotcha. Donít think I want to go that route. How does this bike look for the price? Seems to have better components than the original FS I posted.

https://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bikes/abajo-peak

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good usable spec. This bike is for a broader range of terrain with options for different wheelsets. It'll be heavier but more fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How about good quality fully rigid with plus tires for a decent price? (Surly, of course!).

From what you describe, I'd say either the ECR in 27+ or 29+. How tall are you? I think the 27+ is size medium and smaller, and the 29+ is size medium and larger. (Though I didn't check, it's just what I heard.

ECR is the stable but well-handling ride. Great bike to start and use for years once you advance. Keep it when you are ready to add something a little pricier because you'll always want it. I had a Krampus, and switched to a Karate Monkey because I wanted a different size and I liked some things about the KM better than the Krampus. But both were great bikes.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes

A Surly won't fall apart on you. And if you want to keep the budget low, it's hard to find a bike with a decent air fork as those cost a lot.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Check out Clydesdale/Tall rider section...lot's of bigger guys on there discussing what works for them. Having components 'fall off' like your bars means it was not set up properly...I wouldn't blame the bike for that.

For a newer rider it takes time to figure out how to use your legs and arms as 'biological suspension' to gobble up terrain and minimize the beating. This is especially important with a hardtail on more technical terrain but it's also important on a FS bike. Many can hammer super technical terrain on hardtails all day long, others are not into the abuse.

I'm a fellow 'Clyde' (220/6'4") and I've owned FS for years. At 58 I've paid my dues and will never go back to hard tail. A bigger guy needs a beefy FS design with strong components (good fork, good shock, decent rims/tires). I was looking at the Fezzari Alta Peak and Santa Cruz Bronson before I got my Kona Process 153...chose the Kona because a killer deal popped up. I went with 27.5 vs 29 for maneuverability on the tight New England trails I ride. I decided against 27.5+ because 2.5" tires are plenty big without the added weight of bigger rubber. It's built like a tank and I'm lovin' it so far.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for the responses. Iím 6í1 225lb at the moment. Iíve been hitting the gym and riding lately so have been losing weight steadily. I am usually ( and will Be soon ) back down around 200lbs. I wish I knew someone with a FS I Could test on the trail. Riding around the parking lot doesnít tell me everything I need to knoW

mtbr member
    245 lbs here, I ride an AM HT 29er w/ 2.35 tyres... If my fork were boost, I'd be running 2.5/2.4 rubber.

On this type of steed, tyres (& psi) are very important - when soaking up trail chatter.

If you do go an AM (All Mountain) HT, you'll learn to unweight the bike through long gnarly sections.

FYI - bike is a Nukeproof Scout 290...

PS - Skills With Phil (Youtuber) shows the capability of the Raleigh Tokul ^^

Not sure on pricing, but it looked like a super capable whip.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"