Bike for a serious 11yr old XC rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New question here. Bike for a serious 11yr old XC rider

I am new to Mountain Biking but my 11 year old son has been XC riding for several years in weekly races. He is presently riding a Trek3900 and is saving his money for a new bike since a) he is growing & b) the Trek is getting pretty beaten up.

Overall he is a small and thin kid but is on the verge of getting to a 15" frame size. He wants to think about a new bike for next year and in general I have steered him to look for a light hardtail. He is interested in saving money for $500-$800 bike, and there are some interesting end of the season deals we are seeing in our area.

Given this, does anyone have any thoughts or comments bikes below?

Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (rental, lightly used ~$500, the leading ontender)
    Gary Fischer Tassajara Disc (new only ~$800)
    Jamis Exile XC (rental, lightly used $825)
    Kona Caldera (rental, lightly used $600)

Freshly Fujified

All nice bikes

Quote Originally Posted by NewVTBiker
    Given this, does anyone have any thoughts or comments bikes below?

Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (rental, lightly used ~$500, the leading ontender)
    Gary Fischer Tassajara Disc (new only ~$800)
    Jamis Exile XC (rental, lightly used $825)
    Kona Caldera (rental, lightly used $600)
    You're looking at some nice bikes here. While I'm apprehensive about used bikes in general, the spec on the Jamis is very nice. Chromoly frame, X.9 drivetrain, Avid discs. Very nice bike indeed This would be my first choice if I had the money to spend, and if the bike was truly in good shape. The Rockhopper is probably the best bang for the buck of what's listed. If buying new is important, you're getting a nice price on the Tass Disc. personally, I'd skip the Kaldera. Weird component mix, IMO.

I hope I haven't confused you more.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Tx for the feedback

You pretty much validated what I could glean from all the posts & forums. I was down to the Exile & Rockhopper, with the exile being a slight step up but the price tag being a stretch for his 11yr old life savings...:-).

I would be leary of used bikes as well, but these bikes are used at a local non-profit mountain bike center and we have gotten to know the people who run it. So we get a good view of how hard they have been ridden and if any weird things were going on in the repair records.

Both bikes looked in decent shape and had no unusual tweaks or repairs, but we didn't have time for a test drive them over the weekend. We will take them for a spin later this week and let the rider decide...tx for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0