Bike options- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike options

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Bike options

Hey guys its been a while just had a question. I've got 2 bikes here don't know which one to go with.

Motobecane Phantom Pro DS

and

Giant XTC Composite 29er 1

It's for a very tall guy so are the lesser parts on the 29er made up for by its 29erness?

Thanks again guys

T.W.O.
    I'd go with this Giant Trance X4
    Giant Trance X4 2011

T.W.O.
    Double post

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My bad forgot to mention LBS is selling the giant for $1400

T.W.O.
    Then it beats me why you'd choose the Motobecane, Giant Maestro is one of the best all round suspension design MBC would be one of the worst.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Whats wrong with the Motobecane? Derailleurs, brakes, etc are better.

T.W.O.
    The most important component on a full suspension bike is the frame, you can have the bike fitted with full XTR, it'd still ride poorly. If you get a chance you should try it side by side. If you can't find the MBC around just imagine a step up from a WallyGoose bike is almost the same.

nothing to see here
    Harsh. Plenty of people on here like their Motobecanes. There are other options however.

29ers cover miles with ease too.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey guys
    I'm getting a new hardtail and need some advice. First of all I'm 5'2 and have just started growing (I'm in my early teens), and I love riding smooth singletrack, technical singletrack, very light freeriding (not super technical), and smallish jumps (usually on trail). I'm looking for a lightish XC hardtail that I could throw around a bit, take it off small jumps and little drops, while keeping it a XC for trails and singletrack and stuff like that.
    I've narrowed my options down (but if you guys have suggestions go ahead), and I've come up with these;

2010 Brodie Catalyst

It is has a db chromoly frame, which I've heard is much more durable that aluminum (which would be good for me yes?), and is also more forgiving (if some one would clear up exactly what a forgiving ride is that would be great) It has deore components, hydraulic discs and a Marzocchi Corsa TST2 fork (100mm travel). I could get this bike through my local dealer for 1200$CAD after tax which is pretty good since it retails for 1499+tax (1678$). It weighs in at about 28lbs.

2011 Kona Cinder Cone

It has a 7005 aluminum frame, with a slx r/d, alivio f/d and shifters, avid juicy 3's and a rockshox recon silver tk 100mm travel. I could probably get the bike at the my local shop for between 1120$ & 1220$.

Your thoughts on which bike would suit me better, and which bike is better for the money. For sizing I would go with the small on the brodie (16.5" seat tube), and I'd either go with the 16" or 17" cinder cone. So my main questions are 10' or 11' (not sure) Rock Shox Recon Silver TK vs 09' Marzocchi Corsa TST2 and The cro-mo frame vs the aluminum frame. If you guys have any other suggestions for bikes under 1200$ (after HST), so 1070$ before taxes.

Thanks

Freshly Fujified

2012 XTC Composite 29er for $1400?

Quote Originally Posted by zmu98 View Post
    My bad forgot to mention LBS is selling the giant for $1400
    That just can't be. The bike lists for like $2300.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by josephig View Post
    Hey guys
    I'm getting a new hardtail and need some advice. First of all I'm 5'2 and have just started growing (I'm in my early teens), and I love riding smooth singletrack, technical singletrack, very light freeriding (not super technical), and smallish jumps (usually on trail). I'm looking for a lightish XC hardtail that I could throw around a bit, take it off small jumps and little drops, while keeping it a XC for trails and singletrack and stuff like that.
    I've narrowed my options down (but if you guys have suggestions go ahead), and I've come up with these;

2010 Brodie Catalyst

It is has a db chromoly frame, which I've heard is much more durable that aluminum (which would be good for me yes?), and is also more forgiving (if some one would clear up exactly what a forgiving ride is that would be great) It has deore components, hydraulic discs and a Marzocchi Corsa TST2 fork (100mm travel). I could get this bike through my local dealer for 1200$CAD after tax which is pretty good since it retails for 1499+tax (1678$). It weighs in at about 28lbs.

2011 Kona Cinder Cone

It has a 7005 aluminum frame, with a slx r/d, alivio f/d and shifters, avid juicy 3's and a rockshox recon silver tk 100mm travel. I could probably get the bike at the my local shop for between 1120$ & 1220$.

Your thoughts on which bike would suit me better, and which bike is better for the money. For sizing I would go with the small on the brodie (16.5" seat tube), and I'd either go with the 16" or 17" cinder cone. So my main questions are 10' or 11' (not sure) Rock Shox Recon Silver TK vs 09' Marzocchi Corsa TST2 and The cro-mo frame vs the aluminum frame. If you guys have any other suggestions for bikes under 1200$ (after HST), so 1070$ before taxes.

Thanks
    Catalyst on sale for $899 via/ Brodie Online Shop.

Titanium junkie
    I'd get the Motobecane as I have not heard anything bad about the frames.
    Component wise it looks good.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zmu98 View Post
    Hey guys its been a while just had a question. I've got 2 bikes here don't know which one to go with.

Motobecane Phantom Pro DS

and

Giant XTC Composite 29er 1

It's for a very tall guy so are the lesser parts on the 29er made up for by its 29erness?

Thanks again guys
    Those are two totally different animals. One is a 26" FS, the other a 29" HT. Decide which of those you want, and then the decision is a no-brainer.

If the giant Trance X is an option, I'd go with that over the Moto even with lesser components.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.