mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Big bike for Big boy???

A buddy of mine needs help trying to decide on a new bike. Currently he is on a HT, but he wants to get on a FS. He is 6'4" and around 220. He has looked into Santa Cruz, Ventana, Ellsworth, etc. I was hoping some of you could give me some suggestions to help him out. Money is a little tight so, unfortunately, we have to consider that. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by TXrider
    A buddy of mine needs help trying to decide on a new bike. Currently he is on a HT, but he wants to get on a FS. He is 6'4" and around 220. He has looked into Santa Cruz, Ventana, Ellsworth, etc. I was hoping some of you could give me some suggestions to help him out. Money is a little tight so, unfortunately, we have to consider that. Please let me know if you have any ideas.
    I ride a Giant Warp, and I go 240. Not in the same category as the others you mentioned, but you also mentioned that money is tight. So far, the bike's been very good, and it's major strength is the frame. Keep in mind, if he goes the cheap route, upgrades will be inevitable. I bought mine knowing this, and have already put on a new fork and wheelset. Next upgrade will be disc brakes.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Actually, I would stay away from any bike that has a unsupported seat mast like the warp. Your biggest problem will be the lever action you tall body will cause on that frame. If you buddy is looking for a good reasonable priced dually, tell him to look at the Heckler, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel or Liquid or the new Gaint Reign or Travrse(all base models, he will ge the good frame and can upgrade the parts later when they wear out). He will really need the the fullu support seat tube. I am 6'3" and over 300lbs and have been riding a Heckler for 2 years and it was great. A buddy of mine has a Warp and he was 5'8" and 180lbs and he broke the frame at the downtube seat mast junction. Us taller guy put so much stress throug a frame that you have to be really careful.

big Kat

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would check out the Kona website. They recently came out with a bike designed for bigger riders- I believe it was a FS, but i'm not entirely sure. worth taking a look at

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TXrider
    Harobikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ventana are undoubtedly the ultimate in tough flex free frames. You can get great deals on the El Chamuco at the moment ($999) if finances are tight. Otherwise, I would definitely be looking at an X5. I ride one myself and they are fantastic. I'm a reasonably big guy at 6'1" and 190 lbs and there is absolutely no frame or rear stay flex whatsoever.