mtbr member

Bianchi Frame Question

Couldn't find a Bianchi thread to ask this in, but what is the difference between the Bianchi M.U.S.S S.U.S.S and G.U.S.S? And are there any other 'U.S.S's that I should know of? I've seen those 3 and could never tell any difference. I'm not a huge Bianchi fan but the frames are growing on me and I may get one. I've got a friend with a M.U.S.S and he loves it.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS
    Couldn't find a Bianchi thread to ask this in, but what is the difference between the Bianchi M.U.S.S S.U.S.S and G.U.S.S? And are there any other 'U.S.S's that I should know of? I've seen those 3 and could never tell any difference. I'm not a huge Bianchi fan but the frames are growing on me and I may get one. I've got a friend with a M.U.S.S and he loves it.
    Every year Bianchi comes up with a different name for their single speed bikes...the first in 1998 was the B.O.S.S. (*****in Orange Single Speed). 1999 was the B.A.S.S. (*****in Apple Single Speed). The list goes on, all are aluminum unless noted.

BUSS
    CUSS
    DISS
    SISS (Steel)
    SASS (Steel)
    GUSS (suspension fork)
    MUSS (Steel)
    WUSS (suspension fork)
    and my personal favorite the PUSS

There are also the SOK line of 29er single speeds

Apr 2007
    I think frame material? I almost got a BOSS a few weeks ago, but I guess Bianchi fanatics think the bike is made of gold. Anyway, here is a thread on all of the "secret codes" of Bianchi's.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...51#post5506851

Too bad Bianchi doesn't make SS frames anymore, or MTB's period.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I worked for a shop in the mid to late 90's that was a big Bianchi road bike dealer (back then they were all steel and all Campagnolo). Bianchi was always pushing us to sell their mountain bikes but they just didn't sell...UNTIL the B.O.S.S.

We couldn't keep those things in stock, at the time it was such a novelty and no one else was making production single speeds.

Apr 2007
    Any idea why they got out of the MTB business? I thought they were having good sucess with their line (I used to drool over the Grizzlies with XTR everything back in the day).

BTW, I've got a 87 (?) Bianchi Sport SX that is Sanko steel and Shimano parts. Wish it was clad with Campy stuff.

Former Bike Wrench
    Any idea why they got out of the MTB business? I thought they were having good sucess with their line (I used to drool over the Grizzlies with XTR everything back in the day).

BTW, I've got a 87 (?) Bianchi Sport SX that is Sanko steel and Shimano parts. Wish it was clad with Campy stuff.
    My guess is they simply couldn't sell enough to make it profitable. We carried the Grizzlies back in the 90's and they were great bikes but it was hard to sell them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I took my old light blue '90s Bianchi Peregrine HT MTB that sat around a while doing nothing and turned it into a SS last fall replacing a bunch of stuff including new bb7 front and V's remaining in back along with a new RS Recon fork. Rides pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looking at their global site, I'm guessing they just don't distribute to North America anymore. Some good looking bikes here:

http://www.bianchi.com/global/bikes/...IDMaster=48558

I've been away from the mountain bike world for several years, spending my time on the road. Does anyone know where their MTB frames are made? I'd expect the Methanol to be made in Italy, but curious about the Jab and Kuma.

One thing Bianchi seemed to always have was great frames for the price. One could always later upgrade the components but still buy into a decent frame without breaking the bank up front (at least I remember it being that way years and years ago...)

Members who have read this thread: 1