mtbr member

Which is a better deal?

The two deals I'm considering are either Supergo's Turner Burner frame with a Manitou Swinger 3 Way shock for $899 or a Motobecane Fantom Team frame that comes with a Rock Shox Sid Shock, 80mm Sid fork, FSA sealed bearing head set and a stem for $799, oh and free shipping too.
    I've read good reviews on both frames. They are pretty much the same suspension design, the turner is the origanal though. The turner is, well a turner and has a great reputation. The motobecane is a little unknown, but the shock and the fork alone are worth about $500. I think the fantom is a little lighter too. I'd like the Burner, but I'd have to shell out another 150 bucks extra including shipping. Plus I'd have to get a fork for it too. But, I'd have a turner. I wonder would a turner be that great? I guess that's the purpose of this post.
    I like to ride bikes.

Freshly Fujified

Buy the Turner

The Motobecane seems like a better "value", but based on your post if you don't buy the Turner, you'll have buyers remorse. Buckle up and shell out the extra money for the frame, buy a nice fork to complement the Swinger, and you'll be all smiles.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    They are pretty much the same suspension design, the turner is the origanal though.
    They are not the same suspension design. The Turner is a FSR, the Motobecane is linkage actuated single pivot (aka faux bar).
    Riding slowly since 1977.

There's no app for this.

yep Mbcane = single pivot

or faux bar, but will have a far less responsive suspension than the Turner. Turner's the one, very simply.

Look at this pic, note the line from the BB to the rear axle is one piece? It's a single pivot bike, with 3 other pivots made to get around the Horst link that Turner does have, under license, from Specialized.

You get whatcha pay for.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    The two deals I'm considering are either Supergo's Turner Burner frame with a Manitou Swinger 3 Way shock for $899 or a Motobecane Fantom Team frame that comes with a Rock Shox Sid Shock, 80mm Sid fork, FSA sealed bearing head set and a stem for $799, oh and free shipping too.
    I've read good reviews on both frames. They are pretty much the same suspension design, the turner is the origanal though. The turner is, well a turner and has a great reputation. The motobecane is a little unknown, but the shock and the fork alone are worth about $500. I think the fantom is a little lighter too. I'd like the Burner, but I'd have to shell out another 150 bucks extra including shipping. Plus I'd have to get a fork for it too. But, I'd have a turner. I wonder would a turner be that great? I guess that's the purpose of this post.
    Easy choice. There's no comparison. Get the Burner. Like others here have mentioned.....the Motobecane suspension is not even vaguely like the Turner. It just looks similar.

mtbr member
    I don't know much about motobecanes but I used to have a Turner XCE and that bike rode great. It even though it was little bit on the heavy side it climbed ,descended and handled awesome. you know which one I am recommending.

mtbr member
    Actually it does have another pivot very near the junction of the chainstay and the seat stay. But it's above the axel instead of below like it's been said, not a horst link.
    Either way I think, no, I know I'm going to get the Turner. Mostly because it's a Turner and like you guys say the Motobecane isn't a turner and isn't going to perform and I don't want to be suffering from "buyer's remorse" later on. Thanks for the advice. I origanally intended to get the turner but they were sold out on supergo a while back so I started to look for something else and stumbled upon the fantom. Just to double check on the burner I looked at supergo again and there it was in the medium I need. Now for the next question. Should I get it in Red or Black? Does anyone know of a website that show's these colors? Are the colores on turnerbikes.com the same red?
    I just spent the last 7 years on a specialized s-works m-2 hard tail and love the bike but when I got it I promised myself I wouldn't buy another bike for 5 years. The 5 years came and went and I'm ready for another bike and I want it to be special. The motobecane just isn't all that special and the Turner is and still will be special because it's made with love.
    Last edited by otis24; 12-16-2004 at 09:51 PM. Reason: I'm a dope
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Before you try and get the frame at Supergo, call Larry at Mountainhighcyclery and see if he can still get any medium Burners. You will pay about the same price and get far better service. In fact, if you are looking at building an entire new bike, you should send the spec to Larry and get pricing from him. One stop shopping.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, but I emailed Larry a month ago and he was out of mediums and I think, if I remember correctly, that he wouldn't be gettting any more. Also I ordered the burner frame early friday morning. I got an order confirmation email and they've charged me, but I don't think they've shipped it yet.
    As for the parts a close friend of mine has some kind of hook up with Rock Shox, Shimano and Ritchey through the company he works for. I get stuff free or damned cheap through him. I'm on a pretty tight budget so I've been scouring ebay as well. I don't want the bike to wiegh a ton so I'm going to take my time and buy stuff slowly. Besides there's no rush, it's supposed to snow monday. I most likely won't ride on trails until April. It's pretty muddy here and the trails take a beating during the winter. I'll be on the road bike for a while.
    I like to ride bikes.