best XC bike - Superlight vs.Epic Disc???- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23

    best XC bike - Superlight vs. Epic Disc???

    Im looking for a good xc bike that will respond well to the pavement, i've narrowed it down to the following choices, what do you guys think?

    Superlight with D XC kit - $1500

    or

    Epic Disc - $1800

    or

    buying [new, never ridden] '06 Epic Disc frame from 3rd party and then building the bike up. at current i won't need super nice components [i want to invest in a frame and grow into the components] - $600 + components and fork

    i realize buying the frame 3rd party, the warranty doesn't change hands, but its never been ridden and i don't imagine i'd ever rock the frame all that much.

    I have about $1500 to spend, but if the new Epic is worth it i could probably go to $1800

    thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23
    lots of looks....anyone have a thought?

  3. #3
    Tracking up the place
    Reputation: Haroow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    627
    SL go to the Santa Cruz and specialized forums to read what others have said about those particular bikes...GL
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"



    The only hill is the one you make of it....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    SL go to the Santa Cruz and specialized forums to read what others have said about those particular bikes...GL
    thanks, i have...was hoping someone could compare the two

  5. #5
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,720
    Just curious, why are you looking for a mountain bike that handles good on the road?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    Just curious, why are you looking for a mountain bike that handles good on the road?

    well i use to bike quite a bit, but that was on my '91 stumpjumper...so im now looking to get back into it and i figure that i'd be better off investing in a nice frame and then upgrading components as i grow as a rider. but to answer your question, i imagine that i'll use the bike for 70% street riding/transportation and 30% xc....as i get more comfortable with the bike and riding again in general, those %'s will adjust.

    this just seems a little smarter than investing in a HT and then wanting to move to FS eventually. so i figured i'd look for bikes that are the best of both...

  7. #7
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,764

    x-Supelight owner

    I've tested the Epic too.

    The Superlight is more plush and smooth riding on and off road. Bu th the Superlight likes an even balance of travel matching front and rear to suit the rider. Too much or too little sag at one end ot the other and it felt like it had a flat tire in corners on and off road.

    The Epic has an auto lockout that rides pretty much topped out on the street adn smooth trail, only allowing rather firm supesnsion action when hitting rough trail, firm in comparison to the Superlight.

    I much prefer the Superlight off road.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I've tested the Epic too.

    The Superlight is more plush and smooth riding on and off road. Bu th the Superlight likes an even balance of travel matching front and rear to suit the rider. Too much or too little sag at one end ot the other and it felt like it had a flat tire in corners on and off road.

    The Epic has an auto lockout that rides pretty much topped out on the street adn smooth trail, only allowing rather firm supesnsion action when hitting rough trail, firm in comparison to the Superlight.

    I much prefer the Superlight off road.
    thanks for that, that was helpful

    does anyone have any opinions on price/value?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.