Best Under 1 grand- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Best Under 1 grand

What are some of the best bikes for under a grand? Doesn't matter If it is full suspension or a hardtail, but must have disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Best bike is a broad term. Maybe best value for the money.

This time of the year it should be a discounted '06 as the '07s are due anytime soon.

ride hard take risks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

It's close but....

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Dog, Looks like it fits all the requirements except for the disk brakes. Man, your Slippin!
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

ride hard take risks
    Ohno what looks like a chain guard is actually a disc/caliper guard, it uses a front sprocket disc brake that is controled by the right grip when you twist it & the hydrolic hose runs throught the handlebar.

mtbr member
    To give you a more serious answer, what kind of riding are you going to be doing? There are lots of good bikes out there, but a super fancy bike will suck if you use it for the wrong purpose. Before we can answer, we need to know what do you want to do with the bike.

mtbr member
    bang for buck a GT almost always wins

Corrie
    Jul 2006
    Giant Rainer, were selling ours, Usually 1149 CND, for 900!.

mtbr member
    I'm a total noob to biking, and have seriously caught the bug, and as such, I am in the market for a sub-1000 HT. After weeks of scouring the internet for info, I came across this bike. Motobecane Fantom Comp At $695 shipped and with the components it comes with, it seems like a great deal. Can anyone post some thoughts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Looks like a great bike for the $$$. I don't really have any experience with Motobecane though.....

Freshly Fujified

Looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by iTEK_26
    I'm a total noob to biking, and have seriously caught the bug, and as such, I am in the market for a sub-1000 HT. After weeks of scouring the internet for info, I came across this bike. Motobecane Fantom Comp At $695 shipped and with the components it comes with, it seems like a great deal. Can anyone post some thoughts? Thanks.
    Very well spec'd bike for the money. They say the frame is made by Kinesis. I'd buy it for $700, but that's me

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

ride hard take risks
    I'll 3rd that, for the price well speced.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    *SHIPPING SEPT 20* - I hope you noticed that before ordering.

Bikes Direct has some very good deals. As a matter of fact killer deals. However, at Roadbikereview, the crowd there are not as tolerant as the ones here. Happy customers of Bikes Direct posting there get slammed as trolls(?) Most of the allegations towards the posters are they are just advertising the company and not real customers. Also, detractors of the company states that the website doesn't list any phone, contact is via email only. Still, there are a number of happy customers who can attest to their ordered bikes as "nice and came as specified" with pictures of their purchase in their homes.

If you do purchase that bicycle, post your experience here.

Freshly Fujified

Rbr

Quote Originally Posted by older guy
    Bikes Direct has some very good deals. As a matter of fact killer deals. However, at Roadbikereview, the crowd there are not as tolerant as the ones here. Happy customers of Bikes Direct posting there get slammed as trolls(?) Most of the allegations towards the posters are they are just advertising the company and not real customers.

If you do purchase that bicycle, post your experience here.
    Without totally derailling the thread or stereotyping roadies, I think there's a bit of snobbery involved, too. Motobecane just isn't very well respected by many who ride road bikes. In a similar way, we experience a bit of backlash here as proponents of Ibex bikes. For some of us who constantly sing their praises, we catch heat for being narrow minded in our recommendations, and at times accused of being comp'd for recommending their products. I would say that in general, this site is a bit more tolerant.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Without totally derailling the thread or stereotyping roadies, I think there's a bit of snobbery involved, too. Motobecane just isn't very well respected by many who ride road bikes. In a similar way, we experience a bit of backlash here as proponents of Ibex bikes. For some of us who constantly sing their praises, we catch heat for being narrow minded in our recommendations, and at times accused of being comp'd for recommending their products. I would say that in general, this site is a bit more tolerant.

Bob
    After a bit of absence here, I was surprised to see that almost half of the posts or should I say replies are recommendations of Ibex bikes. There is nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact there is no denying that they give good values. But when a poster is choosing between a Trek and a Specialized and out of the blue someone recommends an Ibex??

I understand the good intentions. Maybe some are just not kind towards unsolicited advice.

mtbr member
    06 rockhopper pro disk

FRAME A1 Premium Aluminum, double butted front triangle with ORE DT, externally machined HT, frame designed for 100mm travel fork, forged drop outs with replaceable 06 derailleur hanger and reinforced disc mount, disc only

REAR SHOCK N/A

FORK RockShox Recon 351SL, air spring,100mm, 32mm alloy stanch., alloy steer, LO w/ reb adj.

HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, sealed ball retainer

STEM Alloy 7 degree rise, TIG welded

HANDLEBARS Alloy, 25mm XC rise, double butted, 6 degree upsweep, 8 degree sweep, 640mm width

TAPE/GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual density slim profile

FRONT BRAKE Avid BB-5 Mechanical Disc with 6" roundagon Rotor

REAR BRAKE Avid BB-5 Mechanical Disc with 6" roundagon Rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Avid FR-5

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore, 34.9mm clamp,top swing, bottom pull

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore XT, long cage, standard spring

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SL Deore, 9spd

CASSETTE FREEWHEEL SRAM PG-950, 9spd, 11/32t

CHAIN SRAM PC-951, w/power link

CRANKSET Truvativ Fire-X GXB, external BB w/ alloy outer ring

CHAINRINGS 22 heat treated Cro-Mo/32 heat treated Cro-Mo/44 7075 aluminum

BOTTOM BRACKET Truvative GXP external bearing

PEDALS Alloy 1pc body and cage

RIMS SUN DS2 Disc, 32h w/eyelets

FRONT HUB SBC Disc, 32h, machined disc mount hi-low flange

REAR HUB Shimano 475 Disc, 32h

SPOKES 1.8mm, stainless w/brass nipples

FRONT TIRE Specialized Resolution 26x2.0", dual compound, 60TPI aramid bead

REAR TIRE Specialized Resolution 26x2.0", dual compound, 60TPI aramid bead

TUBES Specialized 26x2.0 schraeder valve

SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry Sport MTB, semi light foam

SEAT POST Alloy Microadjust, 300/350/400mm

SEAT BINDER Specialized forged alloy with QR

NOTES Chain stay protector, reflectors, clear coat, owners manual
    Large hills tell only truth

Freshly Fujified

I agree

After a bit of absence here, I was surprised to see that almost half of the posts or should I say replies are recommendations of Ibex bikes. There is nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact there is no denying that they give good values. But when a poster is choosing between a Trek and a Specialized and out of the blue someone recommends an Ibex??

I understand the good intentions. Maybe some are just not kind towards unsolicited advice.
    I do my best to read the O.P.'s whole post and make recommendations based on their preferences. If they list two bikes, I give my recommendations based on those two bikes. If they say "Here's what I'm looking at in my price range, what do you think, and is there anything else I should consider?", then I may recommend something else like Ibex or Leader. One of my personal pet peeves is when people don't LISTEN to what the OP wants. When I ask for advice on a specific product, I want advice on that product, not what else I should consider UNLESS I ask for that. Too often we push our own preferences on others (with good intentions) when we don't realize that perhaps their tastes are different than ours.

My apologies for again hijacking the thread, but older guy does bring up a very valid point. We need to listen to what the OP wants. With that said, hopefully the OP ha some good recommendations for a nice bike under $1000. FWIW, I think that the Ibex, Motobecane and Specialized recommendations are all very solid.
    Bob

mtbr member

Listen! My intro to the trail. . .

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to like it here. You guys pretty much summed up my research, but in reverse. Hopefully this will help someone else as well. I started as another Walmart horror story. . . I'm sure you know how it went, maybe I'll post it in more detail another time, to serve as a warning to other noobs. I have really caught the bug though, and I initially started looking for a replacement for under 500. I was drawn to the Specialized Hardrock at the LBS, but I went home to do some googling, to familiarize myself with parts and such, and like always, to FIND A DEAL! After days of online reading, primarily on these forums, I realized it was worth it in the long run to spend a few hundred more now, and I found Ibex, exactly how you guys mentioned, by someone hijacking a which bike is better thread. I appreciate being shown another option. Seemed to have overall good reviews, and I have no problem with mail-order. It seemed that the Alpine 650 SE wasn't a bad fit, but the reviews of some of the components kept me looking. The Trophy Comp SE seemed like a good step up, but is again starting to cost a bit more than I would like to spend. As I continued reading these forums trying to figure out what to do, I saw a banner ad for some bike deal at bikesdirect.com, which lead to other deals, which led to the 2007 Motobecane Fantom Comp for $695 shipped, which seems to be the best value based on components, reviews, etc. It seems to still be a good option, based on replies. Which leads me back to the '06 Specialized Rockhopper and my LBS, which seemed like the bike I wanted before I found the internet resellers. It seems that they are already ordering '07 bikes from Specialized, so my hope is now is a great time to get a discount on '06 stock they still need to clear out. Which leads to my question for you, if you are still reading. (and thanks if you are ) Can you compare the 2007 Motobecane Fantom Comp, the 2006 Rockhopper Comp, and the 2006 Rockhopper Pro? How about the Ibex Trophy Comp SE? From my view, the Fantom falls between the two Rockhoppers, except for the fork, which is almost as good as on the Comp. The Trophy Comp SE seems to have good drivetrain and great brakes, but not sure about the fork. Based on MSRP, the Fantom is a way better deal, but I don't know how good the deals will get at my LBS. If its within a hundred of the MSRP, there's no question, but if they get to be the same price, or less? Are there any options I might be missing? I will say that the punk black Rockhopper Comp is a sweet looking bike. I know this is a lot, but I really want to make the right choice and be done with it, and get started! In the mean time I'm going to make it back to my LBS and see what kind of deals there are to be found. Thanks so much to all who help(ed). I'll report back soon. I can't wait to get riding!

P.S. (as if that wasn't enough!) To those that posted about bikesdirect.com, just to let you know that there is an interview by Velobusiness posted here on the site about the company and its owner/operator, Dave Sanders, who runs the Houston-based 35-store Cycle Spectrum chain, and the emergence and growth of internet versus retail sales. Gives a real clear picture of the company, and is a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the move from retail to online buying or selling. Gives good prospective, from someone making money on both sides.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    The Specilaized links don't work. The Ibex is a nicer bike than the Motobecane.

ride hard take risks
    But when a poster is choosing between a Trek and a Specialized and out of the blue someone recommends an Ibex??
    Yo talking bout mee

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yo talking bout mee
    Ya think?
    I still say Dog, that somewhere at the IBEX headquarters is a Bronze statue of you
    What the heck though 7482 posts can't all be wrong.

To the Original Poster. To me, if you can swing a deal on a leftover Specialized, Giant, Trek, Kona, GF etc. at your LBS that is comparable to the cost of the on-line brands I would do it mainly because the fit and feel of the ride should be important to you and that isn't the experience you'll get from the on-line direction. I've tried several bikes in my buying history that were supposedly the "right size" for me and I ended up with a different size that felt better to me. Shops have swapped parts on the fly to get the comfort level before I bought and there were times I walked away from a bike that just didn't get there regardless of the adjustment efforts. I'm just saying to not only let price and parts spec drive the buying decision. There is an inherent risk buying shoes and bikes on-line. My humble .02 Good luck with whatever way you go and you're doing the smart thing to do your homework first.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yo talking bout mee
    I shot an arrow into the air, it fell to earth I know not where....Thank you Sir, for having a good sense of humour.

And lastly...Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant.

ride hard take risks
    I shot an arrow into the air, it fell to earth I know not where....Thank you Sir, for having a good sense of humour.

And lastly...Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant.
    As long as it female i'll be the hydrant, just dont sheiate on me.

Members who have read this thread: 0