mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Best trail bike for riding 7/10's for when you just want to go for a relaxing ride

I remember my old Trek Rumblefish - called it my Cadillac because of the comfortable ride. Sure did bob when peddling though. I've been riding a Pivot 429 Trail for a couple years, definitely a better pedaling platform. But, this bike likes to be riden hard. When riding at 9/10's or 10/10's the suspension eats the bumps and works. When just riden more sedately, it just isn't satisfying. More sag, less sag. More tokens, less tokens, I might be too light at 155lbs to get this bike to work right for relaxed riding. DW link suspension also is not the best design for comfort.
    I was looking at the new Cannondale Habit as it is oriented at more novice riders and has a four-bar suspension which should be more plush, but this bike seems to have no enthusiasm from the community.
    Seems like all the new bikes are being designed for long, low, slack and attack riding.
    Any suggestions on bikes I should check out?

mtbr member
    I've heard that the Giant Trance is on the more comfortable part of the spectrum.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Giant was off my radar - I'll check it out. Thanks for the feedback.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrider1 View Post
    I remember my old Trek Rumblefish - called it my Cadillac because of the comfortable ride. Sure did bob when peddling though. I've been riding a Pivot 429 Trail for a couple years, definitely a better pedaling platform. But, this bike likes to be riden hard. When riding at 9/10's or 10/10's the suspension eats the bumps and works. When just riden more sedately, it just isn't satisfying. More sag, less sag. More tokens, less tokens, I might be too light at 155lbs to get this bike to work right for relaxed riding. DW link suspension also is not the best design for comfort.
    I was looking at the new Cannondale Habit as it is oriented at more novice riders and has a four-bar suspension which should be more plush, but this bike seems to have no enthusiasm from the community.
    Seems like all the new bikes are being designed for long, low, slack and attack riding.
    Any suggestions on bikes I should check out?
    That new Habit is a totally RAD bike. Not sure what the basis is for you to be suggesting that this bike is "oriented at more novice riders".

Best trail bike for riding 7/10's for when you just want to go for a relaxing ride-fullsizeoutput_98.jpeg

EDIT: Hmmm...a very lacklustre review below. Maybe not as RAD as I had thought...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It's funny, the 2019 Habit is a totally new bike for Cannondale, but in the Cannondale forum it's crickets. I like symmetry and the balanced rear wheel dish makes sense to me. But, yeah, not such good press and it's not particularly light.
    From what I've been reading though, the four bar rear suspension is plusher. And I can still remember the plushness of the coil spring fork on the 2001 Specialized FSR Comp I once had.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I know a few VERY good sponsored riders who are very high on the new Habit. My LBS sells C-Dale and everyone there is pretty stoked about it. I am going to try to demo one if I can to see for myself.

Turns right to go left
    It's funny, the 2019 Habit is a totally new bike for Cannondale, but in the Cannondale forum it's crickets. I like symmetry and the balanced rear wheel dish makes sense to me. But, yeah, not such good press and it's not particularly light.
    From what I've been reading though, the four bar rear suspension is plusher. And I can still remember the plushness of the coil spring fork on the 2001 Specialized FSR Comp I once had.
    It seems to me the new C-Dale MTB's are suffering from an image issue caused by bikes from the past. C-Dale global marketing manager Vernon Felton (former writer and editor at Pink Bike and Bike) has his work cut out for him.

As far as suggestions for the OP:

The Habit might be worth a look. Also check out the Trek Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The problem with sponsored riders is that they are very good and like riding at 10/10's all the time. A bike set up for them will not give the relaxed/comfortable suspension setup I'm looking for a casual after work ride. I've been looking at Vorsprung's shock and fork kits - this might be an option for modifying my 429trail. But, I know that the DW link rear suspension of the 429trail will never be plush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, I will. I was going to look at Trek before I got my Pivot 429trail, but the local dealer wanted $100 for a test ride. I got to try several other bikes (Pivot, Ibis, Niner, and a couple others) on demo days so never did try a modern Trek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    C-Dale global marketing manager Vernon Felton (former writer and editor at Pink Bike and Bike) has his work cut out for him.
    When did Vernon move on from Specialized? I miss him at pink bike very much. (Very sorry for thread jack)

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealityshow View Post
    When did Vernon move on from Specialized? I miss him at pink bike very much. (Very sorry for thread jack)
    I think he left in the spring of last year.

Turns right to go left
    I've been looking at Vorsprung's shock and fork kits - this might be an option for modifying my 429trail. But, I know that the DW link rear suspension of the 429trail will never be plush.
    Tuning is an option, but you run a risk of spending the $ and not getting the desired result. FWIW, I tried everything to get a Pivot 429c DW rear end to be more "plush", it took a shock rebuild and custom tune from Push to get it even close to what I was looking for. In the end, I moved to a Tall Boy and never looked back, until I recently rode the updated 5010.... wow!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Very pertinent feedback - thanks. Regarding the 5010, was it a bike that felt compliant when riding at 7/10's?

Turns right to go left
    Very pertinent feedback - thanks. Regarding the 5010, was it a bike that felt compliant when riding at 7/10's?
    Yes, it was very smooth at all intensity levels.