Best entry level bike for under $500??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Best entry level bike for under $500??

Long story short, I need a new bike very soon. I ride daily to class but my current bike needs repair and id rather put the money towards a bike thats actually my size.

Im looking for a hardtail with front suspension, ~18' frame, with gears, preferably as light as possible as im pretty light myself.

I had my eye on the GT Avalanche 2.0 but performance bikes it out of them (online and both shops near me) and probably wont get any more 2010s in.

What other bikes should i look for on a $500 budget? It will be for daily commuting as school as well as off road/trail riding. I do not want a beater/commuter bike so please dont bother recommending it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Craigslist!
    That should be the first place you should be going to.

Additionally, also take a look at bikesdirect.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ive look at CL a little bit lately but I havent seen much that struck me as a great deal. I emailed someone about a Avalanche 1.0 listed at $450 with few miles on it, havent heard back yet though. I just dont know what bikes to look for in my range. Ive heard Trek 4300 and Avalanche 2.0, thats all ive been recommended.

DynoDon
    I found this online
    http://www.rei.com/product/796470

or try Bikers Direct, Price Point, or a LBS this time of year they are getting rid of 2010s and you may get a good deal on a good bike. It never hurts to ask with cash in hand, good luck..
    Last edited by manabiker; 09-16-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you're happy with the components on your current bike, how about a nice new frame, that fits you?

I'd like one myself, but can't justify it right now. Anyway, I saw the '09 Kona Kula frame online for $200. I think it's the plain aluminum version, but still - supposed to be pretty nice.

Or if a lot of the components on your current ride are shot, you might see if you can get a Redline D440 for your price. IMHO, the suspension forks on $500 bikes are worse than a rigid fork; the D440 is rigid, but will accept a suspension fork should you decide to upgrade later.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0