mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Best 5" Trailbike

I'm looking at a few different 5" bikes, and i can't really decide on which would be best. I've narrowed it down a little, but they all seem pretty good.

My choices are:

Rocky Mountain Slayer 50
    Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0
    Kona Dawg Dee-Lux
    Titus Moto-Lite

I know that the titus would probably be better than the others, but it is a few hundred out of my price range. Of the others, the slayer is probably where i'm leaning most right now. I've heard of all the chainstay problems with the jamis, and the rocky seems to have a better spec than the kona. So if anyone has any experience with these bikes, i'd like the help. (if there are any other bikes you would reccomend othere than these that are between 2000 and 2500, let me know too)

Peace & Love
    Very nice list.

However, at the 2 to 2.5K price range, I personally think the Yeti 575 is an incredible (since there is no "best") way to go.

Though I would probably buy it from the guys at botiquebikes.com, here is an example that the Yeti is definitely in your price range and this is actually quite a nice setup and is an 05.

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/Items01.a...U=YE575EN5PART

I know many folks are not fans of Supergo (I hate the mail order/online version myself), but they do have a killer deal on an extremely well equipped bike right now for $1599. It is called the Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert. The components are MUCH nicer than what you will find on most $2000 to $2500 let alone a $1600 bike. i added that in case you wouldnt mind saving some coin.

Cheers

On MTBR hiatus :(
    ...and of course the soon-to-be-in-shops 2005 Iron Horse MkIII, the third generation of the Hollowpoint. The changes for the '05 models are big and impressive. Still based on the inspired dw-link linkage suspension (with noteworthy tweaks for the new year), I expect the '05 will deliver every bit of the goods as the '04 in a more robust trailbike package.

just like a speeder-bike
    Call me biased (I just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper 120 Pro), but look at the SJ 120 Expert. I think you could get one for $2,500 (the listed MSRP's are a bit high). It's got a Talas fork, too -- sweeeet.

Compared to the bikes on your list, I'm pretty sure it'll be the most "racy"/XC feeling. It'll be more balanced than the Slayer, and way lighter than the Kona.

Having come from a heavy hardtail to an reasonably light & efficient 5'' dualie, all I can say is holy sh*@, somebody pinch me. Have fun and test ride all that you can.
    ----
    PS: I had a great test ride on the 5'' Fisher Cake 1-DLX (it was an '04, so it was marked down to $2,400). I ruled it out primarily because of the non-existent standover height... but check it out, if you're long and lanky it could be a great ride.

stay thirsty, my friends

"With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

mtbr member

Good job! There it is...

Nice 575, I never get tired of seeing those, and can't wait for our "Raw" frames to come in. The 05 Enduro kit is well spec'd too.

I've been impressed all around with the 575 this year, I must say, and I'll admit being wrong about the rear shock. I was the guy who wanted to put a coil on it... :-) The ride is very plush on the downhills, the geometry is spot on (for my tastes anyway, 69 HA at 5 and 6 is perfect, IMHO), and the durability of the frame is top notch. But, there was one lagging question in my mind, all summer, and that is resale value, or how the bike holds up to the market. Quite gleefully, we've had a very popular response to our "demo" fleet of 575s, and we've been able to at the very least been able to provide some good homes to some great bikes that have been babied all summer. You can't go wrong with a 575, unless you want to continually huck it 5+ feet, at which time you should be getting an ASX or something with a bit more travel anyway. At 6.1 pounds, the frame is light enough to build up to 25 pounds and change, (I had mine there once), but at the same time, its durable to build up to 30+ pounds and hit the trail really hard (had mine there once too). Versatile, quality, fun ride, and keeps its value to boot...Yeti 575.

Peace & Love

Contact "Esquire"....

Quote Originally Posted by reddog98
    I'm looking at a few different 5" bikes, and i can't really decide on which would be best. I've narrowed it down a little, but they all seem pretty good.

My choices are:

Rocky Mountain Slayer 50
    Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0
    Kona Dawg Dee-Lux
    Titus Moto-Lite

I know that the titus would probably be better than the others, but it is a few hundred out of my price range. Of the others, the slayer is probably where i'm leaning most right now. I've heard of all the chainstay problems with the jamis, and the rocky seems to have a better spec than the kona. So if anyone has any experience with these bikes, i'd like the help. (if there are any other bikes you would reccomend othere than these that are between 2000 and 2500, let me know too)
    I mentioned botiquebikes.com and see, you even have folks from their included in this post....how can you lose.....you know what, I think I need one too!!

toneetouch
    hey lbguy,

proud 575 owner here (i don't think my bike has ever been as clean as yours). anyway, i think i remember some posts back where you were asking for opinions on the answer impact - eggbeater s nashbar combo. did you buy the combo? if so, how are the shoes? after bashing and bending the spindle on one of my candy's, i'm thinking of going with eggbeaters.

thanks,
    ant