bent steel frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

bent steel frame

Hi! My son just did a flat on his used BMX (WTP Crysis full chromoly frame). We tried to remove the wheel but one dropout is bent. The lower part is bent upward so the spacing is only 12mm (should be 14 when I compare with the other side). I try to bend it back with some tool but it won't move. The axle is preventing me to have good leverage. Will heating the steel would make it easier to bent?

Could use any advice... Thanks in advance
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    I think in order to heat it enough to make it more pliable will transfer enough heat to the rear hub to burn off what ever grease might be in there. Maybe even cause damage. Something to think about.

I assume you're trying to get something into it to "pry" it apart. Have you tried driving it open with a punch and a good heavy mallet?

But if it were me, I'd try grinding it with a Dremel (or similar) tool? Grind the frame side of the slot (not the thinner lip side). If you only need 1-2 mm, that may do the trick. Either a small drum mandrel that fits in the slot, or a cutting disk, could work.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any chance you can unbolt the other side and use the wheel to leverage it straight?
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Here's two pics of my "problem". It seems the inferior part is bent inward as well. I might let a professional handle this. I'm not sure about grinding. I have a buffer but no dremel tool...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bent steel frame-img_2277.jpg  

bent steel frame-img_2278.jpg  

2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't grind anything. Best to straighten after removal. Wonder if you could tie a rope to the chainstay close to the drop out and the other end to a post & pull on the other side to temporarily spread it for wheel removal. Then tape and use a large adjustable wrench to tweak it back to straight.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lewis,

get a prybar/crowbar and place it in the dropout from the rear, with the bar facing up (the tip wedged against the axle and the top half of the dropout). Pry downward. It will open the drop out up. And it won't twist the dropout any more than it already is. You just want to move the lower half a bit.

Personally, I'd go with another frame at a later point, Fit, Cult etc. (Terrible One if you can find any, my personal fav.) Apparently, this happens A LOT on WTP frames. Curious if the dropouts are really cromo, and not high-ten. Don't get me wrong, I like WTP, but I've heard if this happening a decent amount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Lewis,

get a prybar/crowbar and place it in the dropout from the rear, with the bar facing up (the tip wedged against the axle and the top half of the dropout). Pry downward. It will open the drop out up. And it won't twist the dropout any more than it already is. You just want to move the lower half a bit.

Personally, I'd go with another frame at a later point, Fit, Cult etc. (Terrible One if you can find any, my personal fav.) Apparently, this happens A LOT on WTP frames. Curious if the dropouts are really cromo, and not high-ten. Don't get me wrong, I like WTP, but I've heard if this happening a decent amount.
    Yup i would avoid heating or grinding.
    Firmly but carefully pry. Steel can take a lot. Try big adjustable crescent and see if you can get that twist out.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys! I was able to remove my wheel... I used a flat pry bar and a square one. It was hard cause with the axle in place, I didn't have enough drop-out length to get good leverage. I used the square one with a rubber mallet to get the bent part a little bit better then hitting the axle with the rubber mallet, I was able to remove the wheel. It was then easier to get good leverage : I jammed the flat pry bar perpendicular in both drop out then was able with to other to get the reminding 1mm of correction...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good deal man!