Beginner rider needs advice on bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Beginner rider needs advice on bike

I recently moved to an area where there are bike paths behind my house and am trying to get back into exercising and getting in shape as well as take advantage of the local state parks, trails and paths.

1) Your budget. I
    I am looking to spend less than $500, hopefully more like 3-4.

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering?
    I have found a couple of used bikes to include a 2001/02 Gary Fisher Tass., a specialized rockhopper and a GT.

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? Mostly paved paths and trails. I intend to bike more for exercise and to get back in shape.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
    No preference although I've heard that hardtail bikes would be more in my budget.

5) Age, weight and height.
    29, 5'10, 215

6) What sources will you consider buying from? I
    I would really like to go used but am open to buyinig new.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Would welcome suggestions as long as available at LBS and <$500.

Also, what do you think a 2001 or 2002 Gary Fish Tass should go for? What should I look for if buying a used bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nattidread
    I recently moved to an area where there are bike paths behind my house and am trying to get back into exercising and getting in shape as well as take advantage of the local state parks, trails and paths.

1) Your budget. I
    I am looking to spend less than $500, hopefully more like 3-4.

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering?
    I have found a couple of used bikes to include a 2001/02 Gary Fisher Tass., a specialized rockhopper and a GT.

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? Mostly paved paths and trails. I intend to bike more for exercise and to get back in shape.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
    No preference although I've heard that hardtail bikes would be more in my budget.

5) Age, weight and height.
    29, 5'10, 215

6) What sources will you consider buying from? I
    I would really like to go used but am open to buyinig new.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Would welcome suggestions as long as available at LBS and <$500.

Also, what do you think a 2001 or 2002 Gary Fish Tass should go for? What should I look for if buying a used bike?

My first question for you is what brands does your lbs have? Also this is the time of year your lbs may be closing out 06 models.

As far as the Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc? it is the disc version. I'd expect to pay about 1/2 of new retail. Around 350.

What to look for in a used bike.
    1) make sure there are no cracks, bends or dents in the frame.
    2) make sure derailure is not bend
    3) check spokes to make sure they are all there and not bent
    4) make sure wheels are true
    5) make sure tires are in good shape
    6) make sure the bike shifts fine
    7) make sure bike stops
    8) make sure cassette and cranks have all their teeth.

...I am sure there are more

Members who have read this thread: 0