mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Beginner looking to buy first mountain bike

Hey all,

I have been saving up for about a year on whatever money donations I can get from friends and family on account of my birthday... Christmas...etc. and I finally have enough money to make an investment in my first bike.

I have been riding in Colorado, Virginia, and Florida, but will be in Florida and Georgia with this bike, so the trails typically won't be anything extreme. I am in a $600 - 800 price range. I'm 19 years, 170 lbs, 5'11''.

My only priority is to invest in a bike with a quality frame, and I will be able to upgrade parts along the way. Of course, I don't want to take it as far as settling for scrap metal parts just to get my frame.

I am just starting out looking for a bike, and could use suggestions on where to look for great deals, what bikes would satisfy my needs best, etc...

Thanks guys!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Do you have any local bike shops that have mountain bikes, and if so, what brands do they carry? Are you in the Gainesville FL area?

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Haven't checked any local bike shops... but I do live in Gainesville, FL

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Well there's the "Super Cool Bike Shop" which has Cannondale as their main mountain bike brand and the also have Fuji. They have a bunch of Specialized stuff on their site, but they don't have them listed as one of the brands they carry (?). Oh well. Here are some good bikes that are in your price range from that bike shop:
    Cannondale- Cannondale's bikes are generally lightweight and built for speed. They do not make bikes for you to go hucking off cliffs, they just market towards the XC racer and AM rider. Either of these bikes should be fine for you, but I would prefer the first one I listed. I haven't been convinced about 29'ers, especially in this price range.
    2011 Trail SL 4- MSRP $775
    2011 Trail SL 29'er 4- MSRP $799

Fuji- Not the best spec'd bike for the price, but I'm just throwing this out here.
    2011 Nevada 1.0- MSRP $749

Specialized- This is one of the 3 huge brands in the mountain biking world, and it's for a reason. People are usually pointing out things like their business practices, but that has nothing to do with the bike you are paying for. I would probably go with one of these bikes, if you were to buy from this shop;
    Rockhopper Comp- MSRP $830 (it is $30 out of your price range, but it is a nice bike).
    Rockhopper- MSRP $700
    Hardrock Sport Disc- $590

"Chain Reaction Bicycles" is also in G Vegas. Here's the link: http://www.chainreactionbicycleshop.com/
    They have Scott and Jamis bikes. I just got a Jamis for Christmas and it is awesome. It wouldn't be a bike you are interested in, but I think they make great bikes.
    Scott- extreme lightweight is their specialty. They also make a realllyyy nice DH and FR bike. Here are some pics from them;
    Aspect 30- MSRP $679.99

Jamis- They cover the range of mountain bikes, from XC racing to dirt jump to downhill.
    2011 Durango 1- MSRP $685

Gator Cycle- they have Trek and Gary Fisher
    Trek 450 Disc- $769.99 This bike actually looks pretty good.
    Gary Fisher Wahoo- MSRP $659.99
    Last edited by hardtailkid; 12-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Trek 4300 Disc. The v-brake version was my first "real" bike and I loved it. The 4500 is pretty much the same thing with better brakes and an extra cog on the cassette. Fantastic if you're just starting out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for your thought guys.
    @hardtailkid: I'm thinking about monitoring the low-price bike websites over the next month until I find a great deal on one of the bikes you've suggested. (evanscycles.com....etc)
    Anything I should look out for in that whole process, other than shipping charges?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Look for a good used bike on craigslist. People sell 'em every day. It just takes a little patience to wait on a good bike.

Another option is motobecane since they have dealers in Jacksonville. Someone mentioned they have the same prices as bikesdirect. http://cyclespectrum.com/storelocator/

TRANCER
    Ride

No longer a hardtailkid.
    If you are open to buying online, go for: Chain Reaction Cycles (UK based, low prices, good site with lots of selection)
    JensonUSA.com (Best site to use, I just bought a bike from them and it came a day early in the busiest shipping week of the year)
    Performance Bicycle (lots of brick and mortar locations, but they have great prices on last years' models)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    these bikes are decent for the price. there are other bikes out there. check out the classifieds here as well.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t+Bike+08.aspx
    http://www.giantnerd.com/2009-diamon...tain-bike.html
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...5_20000_400308

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For a bike to build up on... I'd be looking for a 29er hardtail with disc brakes. Doesn't matter which one you buy, in that price range they're all good bikes. Get the one that feels best..

I was recently looking for a new bike and I figured to buy a new 29'er hardtail or used 26'er full suspension. Reason being, a lot of people are selling their 26'ers to get a 29'er. 26's are easy to find used these days. A 29'er will also be easier to sell later if you choose to change bikes (everybody does at some point).

Your local bike shop should let you try them all, if you like the 29'er I would seriously consider one. I have been riding a 26" hardtail and tried a 29'er, I wanted it instantly.

Members who have read this thread: 0