Beginner DH bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Beginner DH bike?

Hey, i was just looking for some advice on a what a good DH rig would be for a beginner. I am looking to get into Downhill, because i live a few hours from a couple mountains. I was looking in the 1000 to 2500 range, for a bike that likes to hit the jump lines, but can still take the gnarly DH run. I was thinking maybe a demo 8 or RockyMountain Flatline or something like that, but i could really use some advice. Thanks.

Picture Unrelated
    Important questions:
    • What is your definition of "downhill"?
    • Will this be your only bike or will it be a second, dedicated DH bike?
    • What DH riding is available in your area and how likely are you to get there often enough to merit buying a bike for it?
    • Can you save up nearly twice that amount?

As pure DH bikes go, you will need to buy used in your price range. That means that you need to buy something that is potentially hammered to death. Don't get me wrong, there are good used DH bikes out there, but they're not always easy to find.

If you want to save up a little more, you're getting close to the new breed of entry level DH bikes like the Kona Entourage or the Specialized Status. But if you're careful then you should be able to find a good quality used bike like a Demo, Operator, or something like that.

How much experience with DH bikes do you have? I'm sure I don't have to tell you that they are absolutely single minded machines so if you want to go uphill without carrying momentum through it then you should be looking at a different kind of bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think of downhill as you take the lift up, and come down on the trails, no riding up at all. It would be my 2nd bike but really the only one i use in the summer. I live about an hour from a small mountain, and two hours from a medium sized mountain. But i live about 5 hours from a really great mountain, and at each mountain its 100 or more dollars for a bike, to rent. To the bike, I would probably like to get it used because i was thinking that if i can find a good used bike it would be a nicer frame and components than an entry level new DH bike. I have rented a Kona Park Operator, and a Giant Glory 1. So i have some experience with them, but not too much.

Members who have read this thread: 1