Beginner: 1990 Cannondale SM1000- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Beginner: 1990 Cannondale SM1000

I am just getting into mountain biking, and purchasing my first bike. Being a beginner, I'd like to keep my first bike cheap, and to do so am looking used.

I saw an ad for an old Cannondale:

Vintage 1990 SM1000 Cannondale Mountain Bike Competition Series for sale. Shimano Deore DX 7-speed w/STI Competition levers and cables I have NOT been on this bike in years, it has some wear and tear but all in all it is in great shape. I put 250 up there as a starting point but any decent offer will surely be considered. Thanks
    I am 6'3", 200 lbs, so I figured I would need atleast a 20" bike. I sent him an email asking the size, and his reply was:

I got the bike from a friend of mine so im not gonna lie i do not know the "offical" size. i am 5'10" and it is comfortable for me and when i stand over the seat it just about comes up to my hip so i would guess it is the 20" model.
    He also attached some pictures:

This is what I could dig up on the bike...

Do you guys think this is a good starting point for me, or should I keep looking?

Also, from his description, does this sound like a 20"?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    As much as I like old Cannondales (I have a '93 R500 road bike) I would recommend against that one if you want to do any trail riding. The steep rear triangle of that frame design makes it ride *really* harsh. Notice how the rear axles are cantilevered off the back of the rear triangle, causing the seatstays to be closer to vertical? That makes for a vertically stiff frame with a harsh ride. Plus, I think you could do a lot better for the money. If you buy an entry level but more modern bike- say, a 5 year old Trek 4500 or something similar- you'd get a LOT more bike for not much more (if at all) money. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Seriously, keep looking - keep learning. I don't think that this is a project you need to take on, the saying "throwing good money after bad" comes to mind. To a certain degree cdales are timeless but leave that ride right where it is, parked with the junk behind it.

mtbr member
    And it looks like it has a road crankset on it. That would not be fun to ride on trails.
    Jack

'95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe
    '96 Voodoo Bizango
    '08 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR Team
    '92 Trek 930 SHX

AZ
    banned
    Too small , to many needed repairs , you can do a lot better , keep looking . Good luck .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty green so the advice is appreciated.

There is a GT Avalanche 3.0 for sale for $150, but it doesn't list the size. I emailed the owner, waiting to hear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by khowe9
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty green so the advice is appreciated.

There is a GT Avalanche 3.0 for sale for $150, but it doesn't list the size. I emailed the owner, waiting to hear.
    $150? What year are we talking about here? The Avalanche is respectable IMO but this kinda sounds old, beat-up, or both. Try to get some pics to post up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    $150? What year are we talking about here? The Avalanche is respectable IMO but this kinda sounds old, beat-up, or both. Try to get some pics to post up.
    I haven't gotten a response on the year yet, but his response to my asking what size is this:

poset of seat to post of steering is 19 the fram has a lil yeller sticker that says medium..........oh! no discs on this.
    Will I fit on a 19" ok? My parents have an 18" which I seem to fit on OK but have only ridden it on the road. I'm 6'3" 200lb.

AZ
    banned
    I am 6'3" with a cycling inseam of almost 33" and ride 21/22" frames , I really don't see you on less than a 20" frame . My two cents .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, AZ's right with this.. The 19" ride's not meant to be for you. No matter how cheap a ride is, if the fit's crap, it'll cost you plenty every mile of trail.

Members who have read this thread: 1