BB92 and Hammerschmidt compatibility?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

BB92 and Hammerschmidt compatibility?

Hi there,
    I have no idea about bottom brackets standards hence the question: can you fit a Hammerschmidt crank into a frame that has BB92 press fit bottom brackets and ISCG 05 tabs? The bike in question is Lapierre Zesty 527. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes - Good question! I am struggling with the same thing - have just bought a 2015 Reign (has a BB92), and really want to fit my Hammerschmidt. What I have found out so far is that SRAM have a BB92 to GXP bottom bracket. It looks like this:
    Name:  download.png
Views: 300
Size:  119.7 KB
    From here.

Now, SRAM's spec says that bottom bracket is for 24mm spindles - BUT - I can't find any info anywhere that tells me for sure what size spindle the Hammerschmidt has, so it's hard to tell if the Hammerschmidt spindle will fit the ID of the bearing in that bottom bracket. SRAM says the HS has a 15mm crank bolt, but that does not help with the OD of the spindle. Measured with digital calipers, my AM Hammerschmidt spindle has a 21.43mm diameter. I measured where the bearing sits.

Have looked in all of the SRAM parts catalogues, and the dealer's manuals I can find, but didn't see any measurement for the OD of the spindle. I know the HS bb is based on the Howitzer bb, but again, can't find anywhere an OD measurement on the Howitzer bb either.

Also tried looking at the ISIS standard [URL="http://www.isisdrive.com/"]here, but nothing to link that to the HS.

So I am almost tempted to just buy this BB92 GXP bottom bracket on spec, and see what happens. If the diameter of the HS spindle fits the BB92 GXP bearing, then happy days. But even if the HS is too small, I'm thinking it should be relatively easy to get a 2.6mm circular shim to fit over the bearing seat on the HS spindle to fit the bearing.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Update - I gave up trying to find a solution, and lathed one up. Over on this thread:How to fit your Hammerschmidt to your new BB92 frame - it can be done!- Mtbr.com

since 4/10/2009
    Question:

Folks are installing RaceFace CINCH 30mm spindles onto SRAM and Hollowgram crank arms since they use the same interface.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/hol...et-886384.html

Might it be possible to install a RF CINCH spindle onto a HS crankset and use a RF PF92 BB?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have access to physically try it, but just looking at them, I think the spline interface between the RF cinch spindle and the HS crank arms is not compatible:
    BB92 and Hammerschmidt compatibility?-p4pb11264562.jpgName:  HS3.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  39.0 KB

It would have been wonderful if they were compatible - I have just installed my hammerschmidt into a 2015 BB92 Giant Reign in this thread.