Banshee Scratch as a AM/XC???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Banshee Scratch as a AM/XC???

I've got a line on a Banshee Scratch ... I really like the lines, geometry is comfortable, plus I've got an itch for some steel. I was wondering how they are set up as a AM/XC

Like it seems that most are; it's set up more as a jump bike: Single speed; bomber front end; 26"-ers, front and rear hydraulic brakes. With that, it doesn't seem to be too difficult to set-up as more of a AM/XC (with a front fork change, a typical MTB style saddle & post). From what I understand, it can be changed over to a multi gear (1X ...).

Also, the owner is currently asking $600 (loaded with quality components) ... plus I'll be dropping some extra $$ to change it over. Is it worth the $$? Also putting the $$ into changing it to a AM/XC?

Thanks for any info.

:edit: added AM/XC not just XC ... looking for more of an AM style bike.
    Last edited by ubado; 10-19-2011 at 11:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It looks like it could be used as an XC bike but it was not designed to be used as such. The geometry and size may be a little bit strange. If you are set on the bike and want to ride it for its intended use then get it. I do not think it is worth changing it into something it is not. If you want an XC bike then look for an XC specific bike. I would buy it for the price but I would not ride it as an XC is would use it as a jump bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks ... yea, I'm under the same impression. I understand the Banshee's are a bit of a cameleon of bikes; so having it as a XC (more of an AM ... sorry got more specific after your post) is quite interesting, as I found it quite comfortable.

I gotta admit ... the price is making me think more than anything. Plus the trails around me are quite steep and fairly rooty ... so the idea of a tight geometery, steel frame, and extra weight might be an asset. Especially when it comes to controlling at slower speeds and needing a bit more umph given by the weight. It being steel is just the icing on the cake for me.

If the price is a sweet deal ... I might just get it and have fun with it. Perhaps keep it long term, or sell it (together or as a partial). Right now I'm just kicking tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do you know the specifics of the quality components? If the components are good you could just buy the bike for the components and sell them and replace them with what would better suit you or just keep them and use them. I say get it since it has pretty high reviews and seems like a fun bike. Even if you use it for XC or just ride it around it seems like a pretty sweet bike.

mtbr member
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking ... cannibalize the parts I want to keep ... sell the parts I want to change out. From my understanding it's tough to find parts that will fit the Scratch without a bit of a fuss; so I'll be automatically keeping them. Frankly, I'll be keeping most of the parts (frame, wheels, cranks, breaks, stem). Off hand, I don't know the exact specifics of the components (as far as how much each would fetch).

The Scratch was offered to me while I was purchasing some other bike parts from the person. It seemed like a good deal. I really did like the feel of the bike. From the research I've found ... the frame alone is worth a little more than half of he asking price (perhaps closer to it ... it's hard to get current "sold" prices).

Frankly, I don't know too much about jump bikes ... or Banshee Scratch's either.

Thanks for the posts ... keep'em coming!