Bang for the buck trailbike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Bang for the buck trailbike?

Not sure how to ask this exactly:
    What bike (probably used) is going to give me the best bang for the buck?

Now that I have my 29er HT race bike built up, I'm setting my sights on a secondary bike to help share the load of my miles and hopefully limit the wear on my race bike.

My budget is tight, lets say around $1,000. I'm looking for something plush and reliable that's also a good bike, handles well, not ridiculously heavy (28 lbs ish?), not too old (3-4 years?) etc...

It will be used for epic XC rides, maybe some trail blazing, and definitely as a backup to my race bike. Not for super technical riding or drops. (current backup is an 02' Epic...too rough riding)

I see lots of used Stumpys in this category. A Giant Trance maybe too. What else might fit the bill or even be better around this price target? Or maybe a frame set that I build up.
    I think Yeti 575's look cool, but I've never seen one in person. Are they more of an "all-mountain" type bike (especially now that Yeti has the ASR-5?)

Thanks!

(this is probably a common question, but my searches didn't really turn up what I was looking for, so if you know of some threads that cover this, feel free to shoot me the link)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Santa Cruz Heckler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    true, that's one I hadn't thought of.

Members who have read this thread: 1