mtbr member

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?

I've been considering painting a bike. Has anybody used Spay.Bike? Or any other products? Anybody have some design projects to show and tell? Tips?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Son_Rising View Post
    I've been considering painting a bike. Has anybody used Spay.Bike? Or any other products? Anybody have some design projects to show and tell? Tips?
    I just received my shipment from Spray.Bike and have started on my frame overhaul, but haven't gotten very far yet. I still have another coat of the Frame Builders Putty to put on the downtube to cover a set of scratches and frame nick. After that, I get to start on my colors and masking. I chose Plumsted purple, Memphis purple, Bethnal green, Blackfriars black, and Kierin purple. I am still waiting on my low-tack vinyl to be cut, but I will be able to at least start on the green in the next day or two. The putty goes on like a primer and it dries very quickly, so I expect the same of the rest of the colors I have chosen. I will post updates if you would like.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0128.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0134.jpg

mtbr member
    Yes, please do post updates!

mtbr member
    Ready for color, all pieces have been given a coat of primer to finish off the can of Frame Builders Putty. The primer was very easy to work with and came out very smooth. Bethnal green is next, as that will be my outline/pinstripe color for the overall design. After that, I am at the mercy of the sign company who is cutting my low-tack logo masks. I will be painting the headbadge and logos into the frame, so there will be no decals. Stoked to say the least!!

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0136.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How is the coverage on the primer? Is that after one coat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    How is the coverage on the primer? Is that after one coat?
    Mostly one coat, however, I did do an initial coat on the problem spots where there were scratches on the frame and triangle pieces. Plenty of coverage with one can. The "Putty" is supposedly a partial filler for smoothing rough or scratched areas on the frame. I could have stopped there and went right to color, but I shot the entire frame just to use up the can. I figured it wouldn't hurt to do so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Mostly one coat, however, I did do an initial coat on the problem spots where there were scratches on the frame and triangle pieces. Plenty of coverage with one can. The "Putty" is supposedly a partial filler for smoothing rough or scratched areas on the frame. I could have stopped there and went right to color, but I shot the entire frame just to use up the can. I figured it wouldn't hurt to do so.
    Nods, very cool. Will be watching your progress, gl.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Nods, very cool. Will be watching your progress, gl.
    Thanks, much appreciated! I should have stated that the primer is called Frame Builders Putty, but it just reminds me of a thicker primer. It isn't really needed unless you have blemishes you need to fill in, or stickers that need covering. Here are pictures of what I needed to smooth out:

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-framebb.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-headsetdowntube.jpg

mtbr member
    After a weekend of windy weather, I was finally able to start on the main part of the frame. Bethnal green will be the pinstripe/outline color of my design, so that goes on first. I really like the way the green looks, it actually turned out better than I thought it would. I should be able to start on the rest of the frame tonight as long as the winds do not kick up like they have been. The 416 fire in Durango is playing hell with the air quality here in the Four Corners, making it tough to do anything, let alone ride my Griffin. I am hoping the incoming storms from Hurricane Bud really dump some rains like they are projecting for the weekend, helping the firefighters get the 416 under control.

After I finish up all the green, I will be at another stopping point since I haven't been given a call to say my vinyl is ready... it's always hurry up and wait.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0150.jpg
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 06-12-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Another shot of the frame, this time taken in full sun at lunch.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0155.jpg

mtbr member
    Finally, we received rain for the first time in a long time! I started masking off the design, so sometime this week I should be able to shoot the base color. I also received my low-tack vinyl, but it is the opposite of what I wanted. I wanted the positive side of the vinyl, so all I had to do was put on the logos and paint on the rest of the bike. The final step would have been to simply peel off the low-tack, and have the color green show, then all I would have to do is hit the whole bike with the final paint, the clearcoat Kierin. Since it is backwards, it would be a final step of painting on the logo, which is what I didn't want to do. Now I cannot decide on how I want to proceed.

In the meantime, I started to mask off my project, a classic frame pattern. I started practicing with a tape I am not fond of, some orange fineline that stretches too easily. Once I got the pattern down, I can switch to the good stuff, 3M 1/16th inch for the outline. Once the pattern is set, I can paint up the black, then mask over the flames to finish with the purple. More to come, as usual! Have a good week everyone!

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0159.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0162.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0163.jpg

mtbr member
    Just signing in to see how this turns out.

mtbr member
    Lookin' good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow I am glad I stumbled across this thread. I was considering paying hundreds for a sandblast and powder coat but a can of the "putty" and paint seems like a more economical route. Thanks for the input!
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Co Springs
    Nice going.
    Not all of us have the knack.

I once painted a Dodge Club Cab pick-up and my wife filled me in on the synopsis. I either painted it with a six pack of beer or during the consumption of a six pack of beer.

It looked quite menacing .... Stephen King-ish.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Nice!! After the mix-up of my vinyl, I went with another company in town to cut what I needed. They got me and the project hooked up, and it didn't even take 24 hours to get my order done in the correct layout and sizing. Finally, I can lay down the vinyl and start on the next color. The project should move along quickly now that I can finally move forward. With all the fineline down, I just need to hit it quick with the green to make sure I have clean lines. Any paint bleeds should be addressed by that step. I will more than likely shoot the black next, I don't think I will have as much area to mask off for the purple. More to come, I should have more pictures in the next day or two.

mtbr member
    Looking good. I don't think I'd be able to do more than just a single color...I'd completely eff up any attempt to do graphics. I got a quote to have my frame stripped and powder coated...$150...seems like not a bad deal to save the headache of painting myself.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Looking good. I don't think I'd be able to do more than just a single color...I'd completely eff up any attempt to do graphics. I got a quote to have my frame stripped and powder coated...$150...seems like not a bad deal to save the headache of painting myself.
    About a decade ago I stopped painting, I used to paint RC car bodies for people around here but fell out of doing it once the local hobby shop closed up. I will admit, doing something like this is a bit nerve-wracking for me since I have always painted in reverse (you paint the inside of the lexan car body shells). I about used a whole roll of the orange tape just trying to get my mojo back outlining flames. At one point, I almost gave up on the flame design, but the Mrs. took me to see Solo and when I got back to the house, I was able to do the whole frame in one quick session - that made me feel a lot better about the design. I am really looking forward to the next few steps, I think it will turn out very well!

mtbr member
    Yeah...painting RC's in reverse is definitely an art. I've seen some crazy ones that took a truck load of talent to paint.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Lot's of content to drop today, it has been a very productive weekend to say the least! Friday night I was able to complete all the fineline work and get the Airborne masks put onto the frame. Next step is to simply hit all the masking and fineline with the same green, to avoid any paint bleeds. Up until this point, it has been slow going, but now that everything is on the frame, it will really start to go by quickly.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0166.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0183.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0186.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0189.jpg

After shooting the green and waiting about an hour, it is time to get the Blackfriars black and get that on the frame so I can start to mask off the flames. This part takes a bit of time as I have to cut each piece over the fineline being careful not to cut too deep as that will cause a paint bleed right in the center of the pinstripe.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0192.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0193.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0197.jpg

All the masking is finally complete, and looking really good. I was even able to mask in a negative space flame, so I am really anxious to see how it all turns out! Lots more content to come today.

mtbr member
    Not working naked are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Not working naked are you?
    It's too damned hot, man!

mtbr member
    As promised, more content to pass along. Now that the flames are masked off, it is time to start on the purple. I went with the Plumsted instead of the Memphis, it seemed a bit too lavender for my taste level, but the Plumsted should look sweet next to the green pinstripe.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0199.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0201.jpg

It is hard to believe I am almost finished with the frame! Time to shoot the purple and let it set for a bit before I move on.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0203.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0205.jpg

Now that I have the purple all sprayed, it will be time to start taking off the masking. The only masking I will have left on there will be the green, as I want to keep that matte with no Kierin treatment.

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0206.jpg

Flames unmasked with the pinstripe and Airborne logos still on the frame, time to hit the rear triangle and frame with the Kierin Purple Sunlight. This stuff is essentially clear coat with purple glass particles in solution. A word about their clears/Kierins - this stuff comes out of the can 5x faster than their regular paints. If you aren't careful, this stuff will collect and run very quickly. Coverage is excellent, and pictures do not give the effect any justice. I covered both the black and the purple with the Kierin purple, and it is sweet in the sunlight, slightly changing the Plumsted color. After 30 minutes, I polished up the frame and started to remove the final masking, exposing the green. More to come today!!

mtbr member
    Almost there! Time to start removing the pinstripe and vinyl to finish out the paint job. The final reveal will be in a few days once I get the bike put back together, they recommend waiting at least two days to assemble the bike. All three frame pieces and cranks are now outside baking in the desert sun awaiting assembly. Man, that green really makes the flames pop!! I will be posting up more pictures once I get the bike put back together. I had a blast making this happen, and it really turned out nice!

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0213.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0214.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0216.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0225.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0228.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0231.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0235.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0248.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0252.jpg

mtbr member
    Great job! I don't like the colours but I do admire the skill ;0)

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Great job! I don't like the colours but I do admire the skill ;0)
    +1
    Good skills man.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Thanks for the compliments - I appreciate it! I started putting the frame back together to get my mind off other things, so far it is looking rather nice (even if you aren't a fan of the color scheme)!

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0257.jpg

Anybody use Spray.Bike to paint their frame?-img_0258.jpg

mtbr member
    I like the colors. I think it I were doing it though...I'd maybe swap green and purple.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    WoW! Looks super sweet!

I want to paint a frame, but I think I am sticking to one color....that amount of skill requires a kind of patience I am unable to employ.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    WoW! Looks super sweet!

I want to paint a frame, but I think I am sticking to one color....that amount of skill requires a kind of patience I am unable to employ.
    Thanks! I had a blast doing it, but it does take some time and patience.