mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any Ti frames with this geometry? Help please.

Thanks for reading boys.

I'm looking for a Ti HT frame with this geo or close to it.

22.5 ETT, 16" seattube, 69-70 deg HA.
    Me: 5' 6.5", 29" inseam, shoe 43, use SPDs.

I dont want to spend more than $1k, dont need custom or boutique brands, doesn't even need to be new or pretty. I just need it to fit right.

I'd like to run a 100-120mm travel fork. I like technical terrain so it must have disc brake mounts. I'm not a racer but want to keep the total build weight to around 23 lbs or so.

Build will be:
    Fox F120 QR15 (Can be reduced to 100mm if needed)
    Hope Pro 2 hubs with Mavic 819s
    XT drivetrain, 9 spd
    Specialized Captain Control GRID UST tires (Yes heavy but hold up to the rocks I ride)
    Thompson Elite post
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Shimano 747 pedals
    Monkey Lite carbon bars
    cheap 90mm stem

Yes, I considered 29ers but they just end up being too heavy. I also looked heavily into the Habanero and Motobecane, affordable but wrong geo for me. I checked out the FXM or something from the questionable Chinese companies on Ebay, no thanks. Most other brands are out of price range like Moots, Litespeed, Merlin. Dont need high end anyhow.

Ideas appreciated. Big thanks in advance.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Salsa Ala catre Ti 16" fits your Geometry requirements... but MSRP is ~$1700 as I recall.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/ala_carte_ti/

Less than $1000 budget sounds like a Steel or Aluminum frame to me. Unless you get lucky on the used market.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mbtr member
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That just might be my next frame. Thanks for that one or On One.

Anyone bought from them? Another overseas sale. Hmm.

local trails rider
    I've bought some small stuff from On One, but only to the other side of Europe. Others here have bought frames too. No problems, I think. Van Nicholas is pretty well known here for Ti road bikes.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, the frame is beautiful. I'm just cautious about overseas sales, I've never done one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quite a lot of US on-one owners on this forum, also they have recently bought Titus and are represented on this forum through Shiggy
    Would PM him with any questions / doubts you might have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On-one's Ti frames are welded by Lynskey in Chattanooga, TN. The Litespeed people of yore. So there's that going for them. Well, now that I think about it, the Salsa Ti frames are their handiwork as well.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

local trails rider
    But now we are talking about Van Nicholas frames that On One is selling...

Should be well made anyway.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, the Van's ti frames are china welded. Just another little "hmm" to consider. I'm also considering a custom build through Carver bikes, or "gasp" cheapie China frame on Ebay. If I go with those Chinese Ebay frames, I can get it through the distributor who is about a 1hr drive away. This compared to all these other frames where the distributor is overseas or in another state. I might even be able to look at a few of the frames and take my pick if I go the Chinese frame route. Dunno for sure about this since I haven't talked to them yet. Not bad for a $670 ti frame.

This ti framed-bike will only get used maybe 1-2x/week max. My main ride is still gonna be my FS bikes. So I'm not looking for high-quality frames, just something that fits right.
    Last edited by myitch; 01-04-2011 at 12:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My new Van Nicolas Mamtor frame just arrived. The welds look clean, the bead blast is well done. Worth the price and the price was great, especially for ti. I cant wait to build this puppy up!!!

local trails rider
    Does it look like the geometry is what you wanted?

I am not quite sure how Van Nic gets the frames done. I understood that On One is having Van Nicholas produce their ti frames now (previously it was Lynskey). So why wouldn't On One go straight to China, if Van Nicholas does their stuff there anyway?

... just wondering.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The On One site keep changing their prices for the Mamtor frame. What are they doing actually? Wanted to get one but after their price increased, I hesitated again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just finished building it. everything went on smoothly, especially the headset, just pressed right in, no binding. i guess its the nature of ti. this is my second ti frame build. the cable routing is nice too, full length to the f. der cable stop. i like the under-the-seatstay disc hose guides, looks clean.

i haven't gotten to ride the darn thing yet but it should climb and descend well i hope. i'll keep youse posted. i might post some pics if i could figure out how.
    Last edited by myitch; 01-25-2011 at 12:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Post pictures if you can; anxious to see it built up.

mbtr member
    I'm pretty stoked that my off-the-cuff suggestion turned in to a build. Post pics, and have fun!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I'm pretty stoked that my off-the-cuff suggestion turned in to a build. Post pics, and have fun!
    Yeah, I was thinking this too as I was building it - that someone on mtbr directed me to this sweet frame. how'd you find it? im very glad you pointed me to it or i'd have never found it.

i cant wait to ride it. i'm mostly a downhill thrill seeker/rider but this ti frame has me thinking of some climbs to conquer already.

i haven't actually measured the HA but it looks slack enough for me on a hardtail. i've got a Float 140 on it too. just dropping of 4" curbs on the street feels pretty nice compared to alum frames where it's jolting.

i hope i can get some pics up soon....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey myitch,

What size frame did you get? I noticed that 22.5" ETT is between the S and M. I'm almost the same physical dimensions that you listed, and I like the 22.5" ETT rides of mine.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01
    Hey myitch,

What size frame did you get? I noticed that 22.5" ETT is between the S and M. I'm almost the same physical dimensions that you listed, and I like the 22.5" ETT rides of mine.

Thanks
    Yeah, 22.5 is exactly what I like on my frames too.

I bought the small/14". I didn't measure the ETT yet, but with a 140mm Float on there, it feels just a tad bit short with a 90deg stem. I only puzted around the block so I'll know more about fit after a real trail ride. I'll let you know more after a ride and I measure the ETT.

The frame has close clearance for forks. On many small frames the fork knobs can hit the downtube. This one has about 1/8" clearance from the rebound/compression knobs on my Float. Close but it clears is what's important.

I'm tempted to play with putting on a 29er front end. But nah, it'll be heavier and to me defeat the purpose of keeping it light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, just completed my maiden voyage on the ti VN bike. Pretty nice as ti is. It's supple enough for smoother trails, climbs well. Certainly more compliant than aluminnum, but I'm no expert on hardtails since coming from a 6.4" travel RFX so take what I say with that in mind.

With a Fox Float 140 and a 20" axle to crown height, the ETT is exactly 22". I'd have preferred 22.4-22.6 but this is fine, I'm not racing it, just trail riding on smoother trails.

This was one of the easiest builds I've ever done as far as parts just fitting nicely with little fine tuning required. I like the cable guides and stops for the housing and disc hoses, very nicely done. Pics coming as soon as I can figure it out. I'm tech illiterate...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not the greatest pic but here she is...

A mix of old and newer stuff. The only new part is the frame. Everything was used in my inventory or bought used. It's pretty, but definitely not a DH or AM rig for me eat least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Ti frames with this geometry? Help please.-dscn1826.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0