mtbr member

Any MARIN or KONA riders out there?

I am currently in the market for a new bike. I keep coming back to the Marin Palisades Trail and the Kona Cinder Cone. These are in my price range and come with decent components (as far as I can tell, I am limited to internet right now since i am currently deployed to Afghanistan with the National Guard and there is not one bike shop here that i can test ride one of )

My current bike is (also my first) a Klein Pulse Comp. She has lived a good life and seen lots of trails but i think its time to get a new trail bike and let the klein live the rest of her days as an urban assault bike (Single speed maybe?) Plus I want disk brakes at first i thought it was goin to be a passin fancy but it looks like they're here to stay and now i want in!

any ways, any one out there have any experience with either of these 2? I know that a test ride will definitely be in order when i get back, but i would like to have some insight on these bikes in the mean time. I'm not lookin to start a "my bike is cooler/better than yours" argument.
    Regards

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wife and I both have Cinder Cones and I absolutely LOVE it. By FAR my favorite 26" bike I have ever had. Test them both out and buy what feel right, but I feel way more confident on this bike than any of my others. It handles great, aggressive, yet comfortable riding position, and seems very nimble and quick.

I found that for the price, it's hard to beat the componentry on the Cinder Cone. This is what turned me on to looking at one. Riding one is what made me buy it that day though. Phenomenal bike for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0