mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Any luck welding/ fixing rear triangle made out of aluminum/

Hi, my rear triangle cracked on my 2008 Trek fuel ex 8 where I've read alot of them have cracked. I have contacted Trek by email, but am not expecting much from them.

My question, it looks like a clean break, anybody ever have any luck welding a rear triangle on a bicycle to fix a crack that goes clean through? Maybe adding some support too?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this isn't in the right spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hereí is a pic if it lets me upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any luck welding/ fixing rear triangle made out of aluminum/-237f7e7a-eb38-4417-9892-35699cab2eb1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I had a friend who welded a broken iron horse triangle a couple times.

It holds for a while, then breaks. Its pretty much guaranteed to fail, as the welded area loses its heat treatment after welding. Its not really economical to post weld heat treat a frame that old either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thatís what I was afraid of. I thought about actually having an insert put inside the frame and welded in place to support the outer piece. Not sure if that would help. Iím not worried about weight.

EAT MORE GRIME
    it's done.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Rarely successfully.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ugh

Out spokin'
    Now here's the best part: you get to get a new bike! I know, I know, you love your old Trek as well you should. Great bike in its day! It fits you like an old glove and you love it. I've been there. Thing is there have been some revolutionary changes in mountain bike design during the past ten years (especially the past 5) and once you get used to riding modern equipment you'll wonder how you ever rode anything else.

The best way I can describe today's frame geometry is "confidence inspiring." 2018 geometry is more fun as well as safer. Trust me on this... hope Trek offers you a 2018 replacement frame. You will love it.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I still ride my 1994 trek 850 lol. I thought the 2008 trek fuel ex 8 was a major upgrade, but the frame didnít hold up. My Chro-Molly frame is doing fine!!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 1adamb View Post
    I still ride my 1994 trek 850 lol. I thought the 2008 trek fuel ex 8 was a major upgrade, but the frame didnít hold up. My Chro-Molly frame is doing fine!!
    I get it -- like you I've got a steel bike from '94 that's doing fine. But don't miss my point. It's not a matter of how long an old frame will last but rather how much more fun and capable today's frames are due to huge changes in geometry, suspension design and construction (boost, thru-axles, etc). They climb even better than old equipment plus they're lightyears better when descending and way more fun when hitting features, chunk, etc.
    Here's a case in point vid:
    https://youtu.be/JOlc0a2eVTo
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was liking the geometry of this bike... wish I had 3k to spend on a bicycle but I donít. I guess Iíll wait and see what trek says or try and get another triangle from a newer bike.

Turns right to go left
    I was liking the geometry of this bike... wish I had 3k to spend on a bicycle but I donít. I guess Iíll wait and see what trek says or try and get another triangle from a newer bike.
    Try reaching out to Frank Wadelton (AKA- Frank the Welder). Frank was one of the founding members of Yeti Cycles in the mid-eighties. He has extensive experience working with aluminum in building custom frames and repairing vintage frames.

Here is his site:

Frank The Welder | Frank Wadelton Bicycle Fabrication

mtbr member
    If you have access to someone that knows what they're doing and will work for beer, then you probably could sleeve that and make it as strong as it was in the first place, without heat-treating.
    If you need to pay for it, it will probably cost more to repair than a new comparable frame will cost. A 2008 Fuel isn't a spectacular bike that's worth keeping at any cost.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    If you have access to someone that knows what they're doing and will work for beer, then you probably could sleeve that and make it as strong as it was in the first place, without heat-treating.
    If you need to pay for it, it will probably cost more to repair than a new comparable frame will cost. A 2008 Fuel isn't a spectacular bike that's worth keeping at any cost.
    Truth! Surrender to the assimilation.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I do know some body shop guys who can weld aluminum. I have not heard from Trek, but I bought the rear triangle from a 2013 that Iím gonna try and make work. Iíll let you know. Iím not spending 3k for a bike from a company that wonít even email me back about warranty questions.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    I do know some body shop guys who can weld aluminum. I have not heard from Trek, but I bought the rear triangle from a 2013 that Iím gonna try and make work. Iíll let you know. Iím not spending 3k for a bike from a company that wonít even email me back about warranty questions.

Warranty questions are usually dealt with at the dealer level since they're the ones that can actually touch and see it.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Not sure what your question would be for "warranty" in this matter. But their site does a really good job of explaining the warranty on every bit of the bike. But with bike being so old they may not have an instant answer to what your looking for so dont be upset if it takes a bit to hear back. Also make sure to check your spam filters.

They have been great everytime I've messaged them but twice it took over a week to here back. But I understand the frustration and definitely not a way to get someone to buy a new bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, I actually heard from them today and they told me they have they parts I need in stock!!! Of course they didnít offer to extend the lifetime warranty of my year bike to me, but I am the 2nd owner so oh well. They pointed me in the direction of an authorized Trek retailer so Iíll be checking what the cost of the new seat stay is...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    $250 just for the new seat stay, who knows if itíll fit my old chain stay or I might have to buy the new chain stay too. In the meantime, I wish they would have recalled this since I read a lot of people had this exact problem too, and Trek is fully aware of it. Anyway, guess my buying a lightly used 2008 trek that has been in storage for most of its life (hence never got the rear fixed ) didnít do me any favors.

Anyhow, bought a rear triangle from a remedy that works except for small odds and ends like having to change the 6903 bearing to a 6903 7/10 bearing. Waiting on the drop out hardware to hook up my rear mech. All looks good except I notice the cable housing stays for the rear mech arent the same. The old stay was the type the cable housing anchored into, and the new stay is the type where you just zip tie the cable on like the brake hose side. The cable needs to pull the rear derailleur and I donít think the zip tie method is going to work. How do I attach the cable housing to the new seat stay? Any Remedy riders out there that can chime in? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any luck welding/ fixing rear triangle made out of aluminum/-74b819e7-1bbe-4580-a9a3-3492ecab90f6.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	74B819E7-1BBE-4580-A9A3-3492ECAB90F6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1197254Original

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any luck welding/ fixing rear triangle made out of aluminum/-5b367b4e-c897-45a3-8c0a-b108760c92ae.jpg.

Remedy stay

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry donít know why the pics are attaching rotated counterclockwise

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Zip ties have worked fine on any frame I've had with that style cable guides. They do have small "C" shaped clips from the factory that you can buy pretty cheap. Just search "c-clip cable guide" (quotes not necessary).

Name:  clip.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  4.9 KB

The problem you may be running into is that the 2 different bikes may have different routing, so improvisation may be necessary. Definitely something to look out for! If they're both running along the same path it shouldn't be too big a deal other than replacing/resizing housing.

mtbr member
    The cable needs to pull the rear derailleur and I donít think the zip tie method is going to work. How do I attach the cable housing to the new seat stay? Any Remedy riders out there that can chime in? Thanks in advance
    Your old stay used housing stops - there was an exposed stretch of cable between 2 of them, correct?
    On the new one, the housing goes the full length, so you'll need to replace the housing with a longer piece. The housing/cable doesn't react any force against the frame, so zip ties are fine. The old design, the stop had to react the tension in the cable.
    The new design is better overall which is why no one used interrupted housings anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any luck welding/ fixing rear triangle made out of aluminum/-aa55d6b2-f009-4c07-b9cb-3d1cf761f79c.jpgAny luck welding/ fixing rear triangle made out of aluminum/-2fd15ed6-61d5-4b77-a0d9-2cc97d32994f.jpg

Thanks, I plan on replacing the shift cables anyway Iíll try it that way. I did find some stops that can be brazed on or clamped on in case I need them

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh well, Iíll be riding a mutant bike I guess... I should have all the parts I need next week to mount the drop outs and see if this thing will work. I thought about upgrading to the through axle on the rear but decided on staying with the quick release skewer.

Still not happy that trek didnít offer to fix this or at least offer to reduce the price. The frame was life time warranty on this bike. Yeah I bought it used but Ive bought used cars where they recalled stuff to be fixed. Yes I have the money to buy a new bike , Iíve bought 3 new treks in the past. But I think Trek lost a customer. I certainly didnít even ride this bike hard, in fact I was on gravel path and hit the brake when it snapped.

I even had my work buy Treks back when I was a mountain bike cop.

By the way, I spent more on this bike used than I did on my other Treks new...just wasnít comfortable dropping $3k a on bike to ride after about 10 years not riding. Wanted to see if they were worth the price....itís been frustrating to say the least!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry, just venting I guess.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Trek specifically states original owner. That's not a recall, 2 different things. A recall has nothing to do with owners, it's a safety matter/premature failures.

It's not ideal, but sadly it's up to us to know warranty terms. And very few brands if any extend the warranty past the first owner. And none that I am aware of have a lifetime warranty on the rear suspension. The original owner warranty has been around forever I do know that. It's far from something new.

Also that Trek's warranty is 5 yrs for rear stays (not sure if that was different in 08 but been that way since 2010 when I got back into riding) so it would be out of warranty anyway.

But you have bought several Trek's in the past, did you deal with a local shop, they could/should have been more help unless you bought all previous bikes used.

As I said, it sucks but it's not Trek's fault you bought a bike that had the crap beat out of it. It's a risk and taking the time to know what your dealing with is key. Previous owner I doubt would have seen a warranty for it. I have seen new bikes warranty being honored on someone who bought a new bike and sold it shortly after, new owner has been able to get warranties because that was an obvious defect situation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2008 treks had lifetime warranty. My original LBS closed. This bike still had original tires when I bought it. Trek made a fix for the rear seat stay because it had problems... oh well, I would have liked a discount or something.... live and learn...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh Iíve seen pics of the welds on the redesigned seat stay. Mine had the original seat stay and would have broke has the 14 year old kid actually ridden the bike his dad bought him. The kid ( 10years older) sold it to me because he never rode it. Barely a scratch

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    They still have a lifetime warranty, on the front triangle. Rear suspension is what I'm not sure on as from at least 2010 till now rear suspension arms are 5 year. Lifetime is for front triangle only on full suspension bikes.

It sucks they wouldn't even cut you a break on parts they have taking up warehouse space for a 10yr old bike. That in itself was dumb. They could have sold a part that will just collect dust and problem solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok Iíve got all the parts in I need to finish the install. Iíll post back and tell you if it works lol