Anthem x2 vs. Epic Comp vs. Top Fuel 8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Anthem x2 vs. Epic Comp vs. Top Fuel 8

I am an xc racer looking to buy a full suspension race bike. i can spend around $3k. I want a good, stiff short-travel full suspension bike. I am looking at the Giant Anthem x2, the Specialized Epic Comp and the Trek Fuel 8. They are all aluminum frame, 4" travel bikes that cost around $3k. The Anthem has mostly xt parts, the Epic has Sram x-9 and x-7 parts, and the Top Fuel has SLX. Does anyone have any experience on these bikes? I will be using them for xc racing and for Xterras.
    Any input appreciated.

aka bOb
    I was in the same boat a while ago and took the Anthem x2 for a spin and let me tell ya for the price I didn't think it could be beat (2300 clams). As far as the feel it seemed just OK to me not real fast but very efficient peddling. I believe the slow feeling was due to the relaxed cockpit set up stock. Which for the life of me I can't figure out why Giant set up a race bike to feel like a trail bike, but could be changed to ones fit very easily. The reason I didn't buy it is my wife didn't think $2300 was such a good deal :-(. Soooo I found a Epic frame transfered my parts plus a few new ones and couldn't be happier. Is it smooth nope is it fast "YES". It feels fast like my HT without the shoving of my seat up my butt on every root or rock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Giant suspension is the most modern and effective of all the bikes mentioned. Trek and Spec give up plushness for efficiency. The Anthem X has both.

You pointed out how the Anthem is spec'd better too. Seems like an easy call to make.

Members who have read this thread: 0