Anthem vs. Racer X vs Superlight- Mtbr.com
    Hugged a Yeti Today?

Anthem vs. Racer X vs Superlight

Alright I am thinking of getting a lightweight short travel bike for fast trail riding and have kinda narrowed it down to these three. Although I would take suggestions, it seems like you can get a pretty decent build up of these at about $2500. What are your opinions of these as fast trail rigs. Keep in mind this will be a fourth mountain bike, I have a 6 inch all mountain, a hardtail, and a SS 29er. I am looking at an 07 Anthem 1, the Racer X RX1 (all aluminum), or similar spec on the superlight, so componentry between the three is pretty close. Really just some info on what you like or dislike about how the frames ride. Weight is not that big a deal to me, will leave that to upgraditis. Thanks.

mtbr member
    in that case...what then is a more important aspect, is what suspension is more efficient in that context of riding and which one suits your needs more. Personally I have not owned the Racer X and I have only taken it for a quick 30min rip, but I know its a very spiffy bike. But I have ridden the Anthems in all their incarnations and can strongly say that it would be my choice, if only from the suspension view and rideline.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

Yeti ASR

By looking at your avatar I know that you want the Yeti.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

Hugged a Yeti Today?

yes I do, but...

Quote Originally Posted by trail topher
    By looking at your avatar I know that you want the Yeti.

The ASR would be the bike I would pick if money were no object, but the frame would knock out the whole budget. Some day I will try to have a stable full of Yetis.

Unsettled and unhip!!!!!!
    that is a tough choice. I just bought an 08 anthem 1 so I already know my choice. I would assume the SC and the Titus wouold be a lot more expensive (being hand made in the US) but I would also think in order to be comparibly priced the titus and sc would have lesser parts. All have superior susp systems - go with feel, agility, and fit.
    Bikes'r'mylife

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I looked hard at the Giant, and ended up buying a Racer X that was being used as a coat rack by somebody else. I can tell you that the Racer X rides favorably in comparison to my Zaskar hardtail. Unfortunately I can't compare to the other two bikes as i haven't ridden them. The bike I bought has a lot of Gucci parts on it (SRAM X10,XTR,Juicy Carbons) had less than 500 miles on it and I picked it up on Ebay for $1500.00!

mtbr member
    I have ridden the others and I would still choose the anthem due to its suspension feel on the trail and its ability to be more broad on the trail. + the price point is unbeatable, and if your not a brand whore, then its a smart choice. But again...its just my opinion.

Ebay spooks me out - I am too afraid of getting ripped off. I bought from a local friend who owns a shop - he sold it to me for such a good deal I upgraded to R/F Next sl bars, thompson stem and post, oury grips, and a set of new tires for my Identiti Dr Jeckyll and came in under retail.
    I have never rideen a titus or sc but I have heard they are the cats meow - I was looking for long lasting parts and affordability and local - that all added up to Giant
    Bikes'r'mylife

mtbr member
    Yeah a while ago I tried to buy from EBay in terms of a reign 06 frame and I tried 5 times...on 4 of these times I was nearly ripped off. I was lucky enough to put my money in escrol before hand though. But others have had luck, just depends on who you buy from I guess.

I like your opinion - I have also heard that the Giant factory makes frames for Specialized and Trek. If those guys trust their frame making - so will I.
    Bikes'r'mylife

this is true - my frined seems to have pretty good luck - I like to support my local shops too if i can - ebay will not be able to get me a new spoke, or chain in 5 minutes if I need one, my local guys will.
    Bikes'r'mylife

mtbr member
    Yeah dont let the whole Taiwan thing put you off. If you know much about marketing, global supliers and market chains... you would know that its no biggy. Besides, giant is one of the few that makes their bikes from raw materials rather than ordering the tubesets and then making them, it gives them a unique advantage.

Besides, i am not brand whore...I take what I think is the best tool for the job regardless of what it is.

you would not be sorry for the buy...many peeps are now steering over to this rig.

Glad to hear it.
    I am not even brand loyal - I went from G/F to schwinn to specialized to Tomac to jamis to G/F to Specialized and now to Giant The hydo forming the use for rear suspension pivots on the seat tube sounds totally wicked.
    Bikes'r'mylife

Grand Poobah
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolCyclist
    Some day I will try to have a stable full of Yetis.
    I am working on it

I have two Yetis, but I also have two Santa Cruz and one Titus.

I think that you would be very happy with the Racer X...

mtbr member
    Even thought the Racer X is bar far an amazingly great bike...the anthem I think would out shine it in many areas, besides price and component spec and design and use of strategic material and....

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolCyclist
    The ASR would be the bike I would pick if money were no object, but the frame would knock out the whole budget. Some day I will try to have a stable full of Yetis.
    If you really WANT the Yeti, get the Yeti. It cost more up front, but you will save money in the long run. If you hunt around you can find some great deals on ASR's for under $3000.00. And I'm not talking about Ebay.

But on the Santa Cruz side, why the Superlight over the Blur? I'm curious as I am considering the ASR vs. Blur myself.

And to make life even more interesting, have you looked at the Salsa El Santo, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, or even the new Trek Fuel EX with the ABP suspension? So many cool bikes, so little time!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Hugged a Yeti Today?

Since you asked

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    If you really WANT the Yeti, get the Yeti. It cost more up front, but you will save money in the long run. If you hunt around you can find some great deals on ASR's for under $3000.00. And I'm not talking about Ebay.

But on the Santa Cruz side, why the Superlight over the Blur? I'm curious as I am considering the ASR vs. Blur myself.

And to make life even more interesting, have you looked at the Salsa El Santo, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, or even the new Trek Fuel EX with the ABP suspension? So many cool bikes, so little time!

I have a Yeti 575 already as my main bike and dont want to go to expensive on a 4th bike. $2500 is the max and I have seen all the bikes listed locally for less than that.

Now the Superlight over the Blur... well for starters price. But also I havent really liked the ride of the Blurs I have ridden. Cant quite put my finger on it, but just didnt ride how I expected. Maybe its my riding style, not sure. But I have ridden the older Superlights a ton and have always loved how they climb and accelerate and have been told by a few friends that have the newer version that it is only better with the pro-pedal and a stiffer swingarm. The design has been around for a long time and that usualyy means that it is simple and just plain works. AND the fact that at some point everyone should have a Superlight, lol.

As far as the Salsa.... I have always loved Salsa bikes and products, but there isnt a dealer close that stocks em. There are a few dealers around, but really they only stock singlespeed Salsas in shop. Specialized and Trek have never felt very lively to me until you get up into the top of the line bikes which are approaching $7000. And even the lower end models are poorly speced and always seem way over priced. And the new Treks with ABP are just too proprietary, much like Cannondales. I used to do alot of wrenching and learned quickly that no one usually stocks the proprietary parts and waiting for weeks for an overpriced one off piece is just crappy business. No thanks.

I really think that its kinda coming down the Superlight vs. the Anthem.

Ti is addictive
    This is my view if you are buying any of those 3 locally......

Anthem....Best bang for your buck.....better components for the pricing and decent suspension set up as well.

Racer-X (Which I have)....Amazing ride, most HT like of the 3 suspensions, fast handling, but for the pricing, will require UGI in the future.

Superlight....most plush and travel, simple single pivot (which is not a bad thing), and can be had for a decent price as well.

All 3 are Taiwanese frame, All 3 have very good suspension characteristics unique to each individual rider......So it will come down to fit and rider preferences to decide.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Members who have read this thread: 0