mtbr member

Another frame vs paint crack question

It's on my intense spider comp 2013 so no warranty. I first notice those cracks two years ago and can't say it's getting worse. I've been to my lbs at that time (not where I bought the bike) and they thought it was paint and safe to ride. Now I have a new bike coming and want to sell this one. Just don't want to sell a bad frame to someone else even if it's been working great for me. I know it's hard to say with certainty but what do you guys think? Paint or frame?

Another frame vs paint crack question-img_5298.jpg
    Another frame vs paint crack question-img_5297.jpg
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

Elitest thrill junkie
    Did you try pushing in that area with your finger to see if itís flexing (because itís cracked)? Sure looks cracked.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Did you try pushing in that area with your finger to see if itís flexing (because itís cracked)? Sure looks cracked.
    There's no mouvement or cracking sound when depress. If I gently tap with an allen key, the sound is the same over the crack. I'm 200 pounds naked and I ride trails with some drops and jump. My rational is that a structural damage would have worsened over the years? Maybe I should sell my bike in pieces... I rather do that than having the frame failing after I sold it
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    If you rode it like that for 2 years and it did not fail I doubt it will. Probably just cosmetic. That said it will be hard to convince any buy of that so you are kind of screwed. If you part it then you will cost of components out of it. The only way to sell it is to do it on the cheap and just be clear that you don't think it is a worth worrying about and maybe someone will risk it for a great price.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    It looks cracked. But can be hard to tell in photo's.

Take it to a fibreglass carbon fibre repair place. They will tell you for sure.
    It cracked it can be fixed by grinding back and laying up additional carbon. It would probably cost a couple of hundred $$.

Its probably not worth fixing and selling as people dont want to pay much for repaired frames.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm screwed either way... I think I may have an old picture of those cracks... At least I got a very good deal when I bought that bike so it's a little bit less painful (but I still have to pay for my brand new one and could use some fresh $$)
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Is there a way to remove a small area of paint? Thereís a small zone of 2x4 mm formed by two cracks. Maybe I could lift this with a blade to have a look at the carbon...
    Last edited by LewisQC; 11-29-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport