American Made Bikes/Frames??- Mtbr.com
    i want spring!

American Made Bikes/Frames??

Greetings.

I'm in search of a new bike or maybe just a frame. I'm not sure if it's a 29er or a 26er but I really want to buy a "Made in America" bike or frame.

Besides custom shops, what companies make their bikes in the US? I know Turner and Ventana are American made, but who else is?

Thanks for any help.

Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, it is very possible that the current Turners are not going to be made in America.

Ventana, as a bike, as a company, and the people are genuine USA. Teresa, keeps everyone in line it seems, while Sherwood, the designer, owner, fabricator is approachable and often gets on the phone when he needs to.

The are some Treks that are US built. I recently watched a video about this and one reason some of their high end composite frames are US made is the materials are not allowed to be exported to other countries. In short, it seems they use certain graphite (carbon) products that also must have military applications and are not allowed to be exported. This video which has been around for a couple of months explains this.

FWIW, the bicycles in our fleet have 3 USA made tandems, (Ventana, Ventana fabricated Fandango and a Co-Motion road tandem), 4 USA made Cannondales.

The non US stuff is a Strider balance bike for my granddaughter, a Japanese made Kestrel, and a Taiwan Alpinestars.

Enjoy the video.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Turners will be for sure made in the US through their 2012 line-up (according to the latest issue of Dirt Rag). Seems that Sapa will halt all their contract bicycle stuff, but Turner has an agreement through the end of the year.

Dirty Bert, you didn't really say what style of bike you were after. XC rigid, XC FS, All Mountain, etc. It will make a difference on what companies you use as a lot of them are more "focused" than the big boys (Trek, Specialized, etc.)

Here are some more US bike companies:
    Moots (a great group of people and the maker of my bike)
    Lynesky
    Seven
    Slingshot
    Eriksen
    Independent Fabrications
    Ellsworth
    Lenz Sport
    Yeti

Yes, some of these companies border on custom but also know you can have a personal relationship with these companies so when you have an issue you can talk right with the people that made the bike!

Carrick
    Feb 2012
    Hello, I am looking for a new bike as well. What are some of the pros of buying an american made bike versus a foreign bike other than patriotic beliefs? I would like to purchase an american made mountain bike of great quality for under $1000. It could be used as well. Do any of you guys or gals out there have any recommendations? Thank you for your time.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider View Post

Here are some more US bike companies:
    Lynesky
    Seven
    Slingshot
    Eriksen
    Independent Fabrications
    Ellsworth
    Lenz Sport
    Yeti
    Yeti's are not made in the USA.
    Whats this line for?

Carrick
    Feb 2012
    Thanks ronabrandt. I will start with some research

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by carrick View Post
    What are some of the pros of buying an american made bike versus a foreign bike other than patriotic beliefs?
    In most cases...

Better paint
    Better bearings
    Better warranty
    Better customer service
    Something that few else have...
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronabrandt View Post
    Yeti's are not made in the USA.
    My bad...I forgot that they didn't have anymore production in Golden...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What are some of the pros of buying an american made bike versus a foreign bike other than patriotic beliefs?
    Speaking as another Ventana owner:

Support. Your bike out of warranty and you break it? Call 'em up, ship 'em the frame, and in a couple weeks YOUR frame will be back to you literally as good as new. I did that on a previous Ventana tandem. Came back with stuff fixed that I hadn't even asked for (nick on the DT gusset from the fork caps). Sure, the big companies may warranty their frames for life, but you won't get your frame repaired, you'll get the current version of your frame, which may have moved on to different standards in the mean time (which means new parts required). And it will still take longer door-to-door than the 1.5 weeks Ventana took to strip, cut, reweld, repowdercoat, resticker, and ship my frame.

Also, service, which is somewhat different than support. As PMK mentioned, you have a question about your needs, need/want custom geometry, custom colors, etc., you can call
    and get answers. If your questions get into geo or such, quite often you'll be put on with the owner to discuss. At worst he'll call you back.

When we bought out current tandem frame from Ventana, we planned a trip up to the area to pick it up. We were going to be up there anyway, and we'd avoid shipping costs. They opened the shop on a Saturday just for us to pick up the frame, gave us a tour, etc.

I would like to purchase an american made mountain bike of great quality for under $1000. It could be used as well.
    Bike as in complete bike? They're out there, but it won't be new. You can still find good deals on barely-used USA bikes (just like any other bike), but you have to know what you're looking for. Keep plugging the company names listed in this thread into CL and see what comes up. Be patient.

LightJunction.com
    I would like to purchase an american made mountain bike of great quality for under $1000.
    You'd be hard-pressed to find a deal that good on an American made bike unless you bought used. At that price point, I'd go with something foreign. If you're stuck on the American company part, you can go with an American company who just outsources the actual production.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The non US stuff is a Strider balance bike for my granddaughter...
    And this is where the rub is, isn't it? Our son's Cub Scout pack had their Pinewood Derby this weekend and Ryan McFaraland was gracious enough to host it at the Strider offices/warehouse and supply the trophies for the boys that won. And when I was there, what did I see? Mountains of Striders waiting to be shipped out. Packed up, wrapped up and ready for shipment by people passionate about bikes and getting kids on bikes.

What am I saying? Sometimes we forget that even though bike company X or Y aren't built here in the US, they are based here in the US and have a lot of people here working for them, making a living, contributing to their communites and obvious ways (offering jobs, wages) and not so obvious ways (supporting Scouting, trail access, etc.).

So, even though I love bikes built in the US, I also have bikes that weren't built here, but were built buy companies with a great passion for the sport as well. Just because it wasn't made here doesn't necessarily mean it isn't good.

mtbr member
    The Salsa El Mariachi Titanium is made in Tennessee (by Lynskey?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Don't forget
    Intense great bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think Titus is still made in the U.S. Although, they are now owned by Planet X/On-One.

Sent using Tapatalk

Jan 2012
    See, this is making it awfully tempting to go for a Ventana El Cuervo over the others on my wishlist, even though I know good and damn well that I would go overbudget building up the frame

Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post

Support. Your bike out of warranty and you break it? Call 'em up, ship 'em the frame, and in a couple weeks YOUR frame will be back to you literally as good as new. I did that on a previous Ventana tandem. Came back with stuff fixed that I hadn't even asked for (nick on the DT gusset from the fork caps). Sure, the big companies may warranty their frames for life, but you won't get your frame repaired, you'll get the current version of your frame, which may have moved on to different standards in the mean time (which means new parts required). And it will still take longer door-to-door than the 1.5 weeks Ventana took to strip, cut, reweld, repowdercoat, resticker, and ship my frame.
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=Here are some more US bike companies:
    Lynesky
    Seven
    Slingshot
    Eriksen
    Independent Fabrications
    Ellsworth
    Lenz Sport
    Yeti

Yes, some of these companies border on custom but also know you can have a personal relationship with these companies so when you have an issue you can talk right with the people that made the bike![/QUOTE]

I noticed you put slingshot on this list. They currently only have one series made in the US, their DD series. It is not your traditional slingshot in that it is a hardtail. But they seem to be doing well with it so far.

What do you guys think about it? are any of you guys familiar with it?

mtbr member
    A full list of over 125 American mountain bike builders with their state location and building material(s) of choice is available here: Ultimate Listing: Mountain Bikes Made In America
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jten9 View Post
    I think Titus is still made in the U.S. Although, they are now owned by Planet X/On-One.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Yes, Titus frames are still made in the US - everything except the carbon frames. Planet X/On-one have expressed their intentions to keep the Titus manufacturing here.

Members who have read this thread: 0