some guy
    May 2004

AM + Urban Play Hardtail?

I have been considering a frame upgrade for a while and due to some recent frame troubles, I am considering upgrading early. I'm looking for a hardtail that can take some abuse and will be excellent on-trail, but will still be fun to play on. In other words, I want a do-everything bike... which probably doesn't exist.

I live in China and most of the riding around me is very DH oriented. As in, ride a bit then walk some stairs with your bike and then blast down. Pretty fun, except I am riding a cheap, racey Giant frame. I don't claim to ride terribly hard or be very big and heavy (6 foot, 175#s), but a change in geometry would be sweet. I have the racey frame, so XC races can be done on the cheap Giant, AM/DH races on a new frame.

The problem is I will likely be moving this summer, probably to either Beijing or Shanghai. Mountain riding exists, but will be much much much further away, so I would prefer a bike that will play relatively nice in a city: stair sets, ledges, small drops, bunny hopping, manuals, etc.

CRC currently has last year's Blue Pigs in my size cheap. But I am worried the heavy Ragley won't be a great urban bike. I'd really like comments on the Blue Pig. Given the price I could upgrade early, otherwise I am likely to wait until I know where I'm moving.

Frame thoughts:
    Transition
    Sovereign
    Stylus
    Chameleon

Edit: Build would be ripping parts of Giant to build: Sektor (100-140), UST wheelset w/ XT hubs, and cheap stuff

Ideas?
    Last edited by LavaPunk; 01-06-2011 at 03:59 AM.

mtbr member
    I live in China and most of the riding around me is very DH oriented. As in, ride a bit then walk some stairs with your bike and then blast down.
    China sounds very similar to Hebden Bridge, where we ride.

Ragley sounds ideal.

some guy
    May 2004
    Thanks Brant. I'm sold on the trail capabilities. I'm wondering about the city characteristics. I'm not likely to be lucky enough to live where I am for much longer than 6 months longer.

mtbr member
    LavaPunk, I'm in China too. I'm looking for a similar bike too. Are you going to be buying from your home country or from China? Where are you based? I'm in Shandong, we have some decent XC and AM/FR/DH type stuff too. Although in a lot of areas they are concreting the fire trails and some of the footpath stuff which means more hardcore AM/FR/DH and less XC/AM in the future, so I wanna stick it to the killjoys and ride their govt office stairs .

Also I was toying with going for steel this time. But the Aluminum Santa Cruz Chameleon is my current choice to replace my current bike (dented Giant XTC), although I was toying with a Giant Trance or Reign as they are known to be good and easily available here. But going FS is a bit scary with a Chinese warranty (owner scowls and says no refund ), with all the moving parts on the back end and no ability or parts to service a fork or even a shock. I buy forks parts in my home country and get my motorcycle mechanic to do the work. Cycle guy has no clue!

What's important to you? I want aggressive AM but with city abusability and good manualing. Fairly lightish, fair rake or able to take a longer fork, short chain stay fairly low top tube.

some guy
    May 2004
    lew242, I'm not planning on buying a frame from here simply because of lack of choice and cost. I have no desire to buy another Giant, the mechs generally know less about working on bikes than me. That said, we have three other legit shops in town.

I was planning on waiting until I see where I land a job next year. I also looked into the Chameleon, but called the I called the Santa Cruz distributer here and found they are selling them full price (no surprise, really). Going AL instead of steel would save weight for playing around in the cities, but the Blue Pig is on sale and would probably arrive before Feb. Just wondering if such a build would be too heavy for surprising security guards.

mtbr member
    If possible around 12KG (26.5lbs) would be an ideal weight to have some fun and piss off the security guards. Problem is this weight is expensive to achieve on something that is AM capable, but easy to achieve for an XC hardtail . 14KG (31lbs) is a more likely AM capable hard-tail weight on a normal budget, but that then damages the city fun factor.

I'll probably bring back a Chameleon frame in my suitcase this summer, don't wanna buy in China due to poor warranty, fakes and price issues.

If you end up in a mega-city I'd suggest you just buy a lightweight urban/DJ bike. Maybe with a longer travel spare fork lying around and a set of knobbly trail 2.3 tires lying about for when you can get up to the hills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yes it does,Woodman Components D frame,burley anodize aluminum,1.5 headtube.will take a three inch tire and up to seven inch fork,I was told that eight inch is doable but never tried it myself,slider dropouts,geared or single speed,pedals really well with five inch fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0