Agressive XC bike help- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

New question here. Agressive XC bike help

heya. I'm relatively new to the mountain biking scene in terms of the fact that I've only been riding 'real' bikes for a year or so and only just gotten back into trail riding heavily in the last year. Now I'm looking for my second trailbike and I'm stuck a little on the type of bike I should go for. I ride mostly XC and most of the guys(and gals) I ride with ride XC but we ride quite aggressively and love to take the odd 2-4 foot drop when we can find it as well as a healthy love of technical downhills. I need a bike that can keep up with the XC bikes in climbing and flatland and still be able to take a small hit. Sounds to me like an 'aggressive XC bike' but I can't tell whether that term leans more to speed XC or light freeriding...

I've got about $1500CAD to spend(incl. tax) and the two biggest candidates are the Giant Rainier and Norco Sasquatch. I know they're two very different beasts but I'm wondering which would be best for more agressive XC. I'm just wondering if the Rainier can take the odd hit here and there, or if the Sasquatch has any hope of being able to keep up on the way to the trail? Or am I missing a better bike for what I'm doing? Opinions would be MUCH appreciated.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGsnax
    heya. I'm relatively new to the mountain biking scene in terms of the fact that I've only been riding 'real' bikes for a year or so and only just gotten back into trail riding heavily in the last year. Now I'm looking for my second trailbike and I'm stuck a little on the type of bike I should go for. I ride mostly XC and most of the guys(and gals) I ride with ride XC but we ride quite aggressively and love to take the odd 2-4 foot drop when we can find it as well as a healthy love of technical downhills. I need a bike that can keep up with the XC bikes in climbing and flatland and still be able to take a small hit. Sounds to me like an 'aggressive XC bike' but I can't tell whether that term leans more to speed XC or light freeriding...

I've got about $1500CAD to spend(incl. tax) and the two biggest candidates are the Giant Rainier and Norco Sasquatch. I know they're two very different beasts but I'm wondering which would be best for more agressive XC. I'm just wondering if the Rainier can take the odd hit here and there, or if the Sasquatch has any hope of being able to keep up on the way to the trail? Or am I missing a better bike for what I'm doing? Opinions would be MUCH appreciated.

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/bikes_04_extremexc.html

Jan 2004
    I'd look at getting either a Fisher Big Sur or Fisher X-Caliber 29". Both have a pretty good componet set and awesome geometry.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...is&bike=BigSur
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...&bike=Xcaliber

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Dude... I'm not sure where in Toronto you are, but make the drive to Mississauga and hit The Bike Zone @ Lakeshore and Cawthra ...OR... stop by booth 410 at the bike show and talk to me.
    I'll put you on a Brodie (Canadian made) aggressive trailbike that will last a lot longer than the Ranier.
    This is just an example... http://www.brodiebikes.com/_2004/bur...uzza/index.php
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would say look for a deal on last years Rocky mountain like the slayer or an edge. Or even better just find on used, look in the classifieds. I Really recomend the slayer. I have had three and I love them all! Also I have a 2002 forsale if you are intrested

Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the advice people. I'll be taking it all into account this weekend. SO stoked. Anyone know anything about the Jamis Komodo FX??

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for all the advice people. I'll be taking it all into account this weekend. SO stoked. Anyone know anything about the Jamis Komodo FX??
    We sell Jamis also, but I don't think we are stocking the Komodo FX this year... the Brodie's kick their a$$ in the same price range.

Mar 2004
    I'll be in at the bike show at noon on friday and quite possibly on saturday for a while too. I'll make sure to come check out your booth. Haven't managed to get on a brodie yet and I'd definitely be into trying one out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'll be in at the bike show at noon on friday and quite possibly on saturday for a while too. I'll make sure to come check out your booth. Haven't managed to get on a brodie yet and I'd definitely be into trying one out.
    Ask for Brian, I'll be there all weekend.

Ooooooo... bike shows