Advise on group set for Intense 5.5- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,193

    Advise on group set for Intense 5.5

    I posted this question on "Everything Drivetrain" but didn't get much help so I'd like to try again here. Its about parts for my new bike so it kind of fits.

    Okay guys, I'd really appreciate a few opinions. I'm getting an Intense 5.5. My dealer tells me the frame should arrive before the end of Feb. I hope! Anyway, I can't make up my mind XT or XTR.

    I've just received my March 04 edition of MBA and in an article titled "Ten most Common Buying Mistakes" by Mr Cunningham... (yes I know, I know!) who writes,

    Item # 3) I spent too much:
    I quote:
    "You'll pay 30-percent more for Shimano 2004 XTR ensemble than you will pay for the Deore XT group --some of the parts are simply a different color, and insiders claim that the less-expensive parts are an improvement. The lesson here is that the increase in cost between top-level and second-tier models rarely justifies the meager increase in performance. Stow your pride and buy smart."

    I can't help feeling that maybe he has a point. I am really just a trail and adventure rider and nuts about riding. I'll take on the occasional gnarley section, usually on the down runs and I climb quite a lot. I weigh about 200lbs. with full kit. How much more weight will XT account for over XTR? I have also played with a set of XT dual controlls and the pods feel and look better than the covers on the XTR dual shifters. It's not so much that I mind spending the extra bucks, but is it worth it? the new 2004 XT group looks great. What do you think I should do?

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I can't help feeling that maybe he has a point. I am really just a trail and adventure rider and nuts about riding. I'll take on the occasional gnarley section, usually on the down runs and I climb quite a lot. I weigh about 200lbs. with full kit. How much more weight will XT account for over XTR? I have also played with a set of XT dual controlls and the pods feel and look better than the covers on the XTR dual shifters. It's not so much that I mind spending the extra bucks, but is it worth it? the new 2004 XT group looks great. What do you think I should do?
    The difference between XT vs XTR will be around 8 ounces for a full groupo. Not a big difference. Personally, I'd go for the XT unless you want to use the new XTR rapid rise R. Derailler. I don't like it, but some do.

  3. #3
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    The difference between XT vs XTR will be around 8 ounces for a full groupo. Not a big difference. Personally, I'd go for the XT unless you want to use the new XTR rapid rise R. Derailler. I don't like it, but some do.
    FYI new XT is also rapidrise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FuelFan90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    234
    for almost an $800 dollar difference i guess it comes down to the bling factor for most people. personally i think the finish, as delicate as it is, on the new xtr looks awesome. but aside from looks i don't know how much difference i would notice between the full group sets. unless you're dead set on having the absolute best, which it seems like you might ordering the spyder 5.5, then i think you'd be better off getting the xt.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,193
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelFan90
    for almost an $800 dollar difference i guess it comes down to the bling factor for most people. personally i think the finish, as delicate as it is, on the new xtr looks awesome. but aside from looks i don't know how much difference i would notice between the full group sets. unless you're dead set on having the absolute best, which it seems like you might ordering the spyder 5.5, then i think you'd be better off getting the xt.
    I also concidered the Turner 5 Spot. The price difference is only $155.00 and in the end I decided that I liked the Intense more. It is somewhat different to the Spyder which was meant for racing. It has longer travel, is built stronger and has a slacker head angle. In other words its designed as a long travel trail bike. As far as the best is concerned, I guess we all choose what we think is the best. I just can't decide if XT or XTR is the best for me. They both are rapid rise and appear to be functionally the same. I have read stuff that in 2005 Shimano will only make rapid rise. I don't know how true that is. I read the reviews on the 2003 XTR shifters on this website and generally the guys useing them love them, except for a few die hards. I have only tried them once and I liked them enough to want to give them a try.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,257

    if you want to save $$, here's the easy way

    XTR is a HUGE waste of money. HUGE. XT has equal performance in 99% of all real-world settings. The other 1% don't justify the bloated price tag.

    1) Because of forced system marketing (like Microsoft), a lot of '04 Shimano stuff is incompatible with other brands. Look at their new disc brake rotors, calipers and hubs -- Shimano only, no compatibility with standard 6-bolt hubs, rotors. For this reason I avoid the Big S wherever possible, but some parts are good -- LX crank and BB is almost the same weight as XT and just as stiff. BIG savings there.

    2) SRAM rear der x.9 or x.7 with x.9 or x.7 trigger shifters -- I have 'em on 2 bikes and they are great, smoother and faster shifts than any Shimano XT I've ever used

    3) Shimano LX or Deore front derailleur will save $$. No need for an XT or XTR front derailleur.

    4) Fox TALAS fork is light and lively, steers well.

    5) Avid mech are the best bargain in discs. If you want hydro and don't want the on/off hyperpower of Hayes, lots of places are selling the '03 Hope Mini brake for $150/wheel or less. That's pretty cheap, when you consider that it includes EVERYTHING (hardware, levers, lines, calipers, rotors)

  7. #7
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,429
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    4) Fox TALAS fork is light and lively, steers well.
    What's that has to do with that? Shimano went into suspension business?

    I also think that some tightly integrated compnanets - such as crank - BB, or hub and rotor are fair game for proprietory integration. As long as they do not rewrite major interfaces - and their "success" with Saint rear dropout solution points to that big guys (Specialized, Trek and friends) is not about to let that happen. Good for us.

    From XTR - I dig old rear derailler (it is better). Best front is XT. New XTR levers/shifter are crappola. Rapid Rise is not needed and not welcome. XTR hubs are pretty good and the rotor will work with many other systems.

    The only good chain is PC99 hollow pin. Strongest, lightest and easy to deal with (rapid link - why Shimano hangs on their STUPID pins is beyond me). SRAM cassettes go well with it.

    <rant off> Get XT. Or jsut assemple your own best gruppo - you can find deals almost as good as any group price.

  8. #8
    RVM
    RVM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    157

    New question here. Surprised no one mentioned warranty

    XTR has three year warranty while XT's only one year.

  9. #9
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,429
    Quote Originally Posted by RVM
    XTR has three year warranty while XT's only one year.
    You can buy more then enough replacements, if anything ever goes wrong, for the money you saved.

    Besides, ever tried to warranty a torn derailler, or bashed ring on a crank?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    652

    Had that problem too.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I posted this question on "Everything Drivetrain" but didn't get much help so I'd like to try again here. Its about parts for my new bike so it kind of fits.

    Okay guys, I'd really appreciate a few opinions. I'm getting an Intense 5.5. My dealer tells me the frame should arrive before the end of Feb. I hope! Anyway, I can't make up my mind XT or XTR.

    I've just received my March 04 edition of MBA and in an article titled "Ten most Common Buying Mistakes" by Mr Cunningham... (yes I know, I know!) who writes,

    Item # 3) I spent too much:
    I quote:
    "You'll pay 30-percent more for Shimano 2004 XTR ensemble than you will pay for the Deore XT group --some of the parts are simply a different color, and insiders claim that the less-expensive parts are an improvement. The lesson here is that the increase in cost between top-level and second-tier models rarely justifies the meager increase in performance. Stow your pride and buy smart."

    I can't help feeling that maybe he has a point. I am really just a trail and adventure rider and nuts about riding. I'll take on the occasional gnarley section, usually on the down runs and I climb quite a lot. I weigh about 200lbs. with full kit. How much more weight will XT account for over XTR? I have also played with a set of XT dual controlls and the pods feel and look better than the covers on the XTR dual shifters. It's not so much that I mind spending the extra bucks, but is it worth it? the new 2004 XT group looks great. What do you think I should do?
    He does have a point. I went through this a few years ago. It especially hits when getting a new frame. I realized that the 'lower' end stuff, along with different brands did an excellent job, or better, and I wasn't so annoyed when it broke, got damaged, etc. I find myself buying a mix of manufacturers now. I'm about 193 fully loaded and ride similar to your description. I found that a Sram chain with the link is great along with their cassettes. A 7.0 mind you. I have XTR shifters, which have done well, but are leftover from my early days. I just bought some Deore replacements for my hardtail. I have a XT rear der and a LX front. I also don't worry about weight anymore, since a pounds can be made up by being fit, or by stopping the beer and/or oreos. Get what works, is reasonable in price and performance and go out and have fun. Good luck
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

  11. #11
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,564

    I weigh about the same

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I posted this question on "Everything Drivetrain" but didn't get much help so I'd like to try again here. Its about parts for my new bike so it kind of fits.

    Okay guys, I'd really appreciate a few opinions. I'm getting an Intense 5.5. My dealer tells me the frame should arrive before the end of Feb. I hope! Anyway, I can't make up my mind XT or XTR.

    I've just received my March 04 edition of MBA and in an article titled "Ten most Common Buying Mistakes" by Mr Cunningham... (yes I know, I know!) who writes,

    Item # 3) I spent too much:
    I quote:
    "You'll pay 30-percent more for Shimano 2004 XTR ensemble than you will pay for the Deore XT group --some of the parts are simply a different color, and insiders claim that the less-expensive parts are an improvement. The lesson here is that the increase in cost between top-level and second-tier models rarely justifies the meager increase in performance. Stow your pride and buy smart."

    I can't help feeling that maybe he has a point. I am really just a trail and adventure rider and nuts about riding. I'll take on the occasional gnarley section, usually on the down runs and I climb quite a lot. I weigh about 200lbs. with full kit. How much more weight will XT account for over XTR? I have also played with a set of XT dual controlls and the pods feel and look better than the covers on the XTR dual shifters. It's not so much that I mind spending the extra bucks, but is it worth it? the new 2004 XT group looks great. What do you think I should do?
    And have good results using a truvativ stylo team crank, shook BB, 9.0 sram RD & shifters, XT FD and XTR casette. Just a suggestion that sez that you dont have to use the big "S" stuff all the way through and end up with a good drivetrain.

  12. #12
    RVM
    RVM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    157

    Just trying to root for the underdog

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    You can buy more then enough replacements, if anything ever goes wrong, for the money you saved.

    Besides, ever tried to warranty a torn derailler, or bashed ring on a crank?
    or rather overdog. Most ppl here think XTR is not really the way to go.

    It all depends on how often you break parts and how much u can afford. If I had the means to get XTR parts and not worry about breaking them, I'd get them. But I don't make that kinda money...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,740
    Don't waste your money. If it were me, I would go Shimano or Race Face cranks, XT front derailler, SRAM x-9 trigger shifters and rear derailleur, XT cassette and SRAM chain. Get some good Hayes, Hope, Avid, or Magura brakes and be happy. Take the $700 you saved and either 1) put it away, or 2) upgrade where it will make a difference, i.e. Nice wheels with Chris King Hubs, King Headset, Carbon Fiber Bars, Top notch fork.

  14. #14
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,429
    Quote Originally Posted by RVM
    But I don't make that kinda money...
    I do make that kind of money, but still do not buy overpriced stuff. These kilobucks would live quite better, thank you, in my savings account rather then on Shimano account.

Similar Threads

  1. group ride on saturday before superbowl?
    By darth tracer in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 02:14 PM
  3. Shimano 04 group sets, XT or XTR
    By Ronnie in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 01:08 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.