mtbr member
    May 2004

Advice sought - Santa Cruz Bronson Alu S or 2019 Stumpjumper Comp?

I'm on a budget now - may not always be but is now and riding season is and has been here and I need a bike. The new Stumpjumper looks pretty nice and is $1,000 less, before tax, than the Santa Cruz. I'm thinking about going for that instead of waiting longer to get a bike. Is there anything I should be aware of that swing this one way or the other? Both look to have solid trailbike builds, really good geometry to ride just about anything, and both look good.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    VPP vs FSR Horst Link is a significant consideration...among other things.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pedal-ability and energy efficiency of VPP vs. Horst. What other considerations?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Best bike is the one you can ride now

Both are proven world class bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Im a long time santa cruz fan. I bought a chameleon ~10 years ago, and loved the brand since. They're fun bikes to ride.

But honestly, I dont think they kept up with the market. 10 years ago, there werent too many bikes like the chameleon. For the time, the blur line pedaled like absolute magic. The nomad was ground breaking... but these days, their lineup isnt jumping out as exceptionally better, or even that different than anything else. Today, you pay a pretty huge premium to ride a santa cruz, and I think you end up with less bike than others offer for cheaper.

Whats your budget? I bet you can find something spectacular that fits.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've owned a Stumpjumper and a Bronson. Both great bikes, by great companies, with lifetime warranties. Kind of hard to go wrong.

Personally I like the pedaling efficiency of VPP versus horst link, but Santa Cruz can tend to be overpriced. When I bought my Bronson, I tried a Stumpjumper but I didn't like the plus tires that the bike seemed to be designed around (2017 model). They have since been redesigned though and supposedly are quite awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My budget will be about $4K

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The reviews on the new Stumpy's are pretty good. I like Santa Cruz more as a company, and their whole brand image an their size than I do Specialized, but what matters is having fun on the trail!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    $4k will go farther with Specialized than with Santa Cruz. But my advice is to demo both if you can. Buy what feels most comfortable.

Also note Santa Cruz may market itself as a small niche company, but its not. They are huge and were just bought out by a big conglomerate. Still a great company, just not the small time company you might imagine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Agreed with the comments on the call:

What would make the most difference to me, is what terrain I ride and what build $4k would get me for both.

Also, SC lifetime bearings warranty is really inticing

mtbr member
    My bearing maintenance cost per year is under a dollar, over the last 10 years.

Years ago, if you had a santa cruz FS bike, you had a creaky bike. Santa cruz fixed the issue and released their lifetime bearing warranty policy as a "hey guys, we took care of this" note to everyone. Neat to see it carried through so many years later, but eh. Its not a ton of added value.

Its super cool that SC fixed an issue and really backed it up. They're a great company in that sense... but for a bike today, I wouldnt count on getting much value out of that warranty. Its lifetime because they built frames that arent going to need to use it.