mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Advice - New Bike or Upgrade Components

I have a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I'm a taller guy at 6'5" and ride a XXL. I ride 1-2 time a week around 15-30 miles and would say I am an avid intermediate-advanced rider. I keep up just fine with the guys in tights.

I am debating whether I should look at purchasing a new bike something in the less than $3,000 range or put a little more money into my 2010 Stumpy.

My 2010 I have already put Roval Traverse Fattie Alloy wheels, converted the rear hub to a DT Swiss thru bolt axle, 2x10 SRAM X9 drivetrain from the original 3x9, and a Command Post Dropper Seatpost. I could see putting an SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain on it, XD driver hub, and maybe some carbon Renthal handlebars. Problem is those upgrades would be around $500 and would make a nice payment on a new bike.

Thoughts? Advice? Whats the current value on bike? New bikes are difficult for me since I'm a bigger dude. I may be able to fit on some XL bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go for a new bike. You got your value out of your current bike.
    Take your time and demo on trail.

mtbr member
    Yeah. New bike time. Check out the Trek Fuel EX8 in 21.5" or 23". $3200.
    Do the math.

My Son is 6'5" and rides an XL Trek. Really depends on the particular bike and how you like your bike to fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    +1 on new bike. New stumpy comp can be purchased for under 3Gs.

mtbr member
    New bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks all for the feedback. This is what I figured.

I try to get to bike demo days especially since I am in SoCal and they are frequent. However they never have something that fits me. I have demo'd a 2017 Stumpjumper FSR 6 Fattie. The bigger 3.0 tires were nice and inspired confidence but I felt like I was slower on the descents and ascents with hauling that extra rotating mass. I want to try the normal 29er version.

I'll look into some posts for bikes that might fit my size and needs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You can get a 2018 Giant Anthem 29-1 with Eagle GX 12-spd, Fox 32 SC Performance Elite fork, Giant carbon wheels for $3200 out the door at a dealer here in So Cal. It lists for $3825. Killer bike! The dealer is small so most likely no bike your size or choice available to test.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-29-1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyXXL View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback. This is what I figured.

I try to get to bike demo days especially since I am in SoCal and they are frequent. However they never have something that fits me.
    Often a shop is considered the local sponser working with the manufacturer to setup and run a demo days event. Maybe over two days. You can talk to the shop manager asking them to request a bike you're interested in be added to the truck in your size.
    Go early and go both days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Good advice. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Have since demo'd a 2018 Specialized Epic Expert XL. Fast, still playful, stiffer than my bike, 1x12 Eagle was great, Sram Level TL brakes were not very progressive and felt like on/off switch. Really enjoyed this bike and I like the more XC focus but ultimately I had my seatpost at the max level 10 on an XL frame and was still a little too small for me.

Demo'd a Santa Cruz Tallboy XX1/Carbon CC/29 XXL. Felt like I rode bit on top of this bike rather than in it. XX1 didn't feel like it was worth it over 12 speed Eagle. Tons of grip and never felt like it couldn't handle anything. Noticed the rigidity of the frame and lightness. I should have taken a couple PSI out of the wheels as it felt like it was chopping through everything. $8,000 bike. Not sure that is worth it over say a $5,000 build version. I can have 9/10 the amount of fun, speed, and confidence on my current bike than this one.

2019 Stumpjumpers came out since I first started this post. Sad days, no XXL. My shop tells me it may come later as there is not as much of a demand but it could also never come as it doesn't work out financially for S. So in the mean time I am going to put a wolftooth extender cog on my bike 11-42t and a NW 30t chainring. Under $100, ditch my front derailleur, maybe some Renthal bars and keep on truckin'. Doubt I would find any 2018 XXL Stumpjumpers around.