About to spend some $$$ and need some advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

About to spend some $$$ and need some advice!

Someone posted almost the same question two weeks ago without a reply but I'm giving it another go. My divorce just officially became final and Iím turning 40 next month. In celebration of both, I am buying myself a new bike. Iím looking for an awesome all-around trail/AM bike - I plan on upgrading from my current Kona Satori and maybe downsizing from 29 to 650b. There are a ton of great options in the price range Iím looking at, but I think Iíve narrowed it down to either the Yeti SB6 (maybe SB5) or the new Ibis HD3.

Iíve been riding for years but only seriously for two. While I take my bike all over the country, 97.2% of my riding is done on the trails of NorCal. The trails here, often on the same ride, vary from steep and exposed fire trail and flowy trails to technical rocky and rooted single track. I love all of them, but most of my riding is intermediate/moderately technical or lower. I also like climbing almost as much as the descent, therefore am looking for a bike with the versatility to not necessarily excel at both, but handle both well.

Iím torn between both bikes. My local shop is an Ibis dealer and Iíd love to support them - theyíre good people. But at the same time that SB6 is appealing and I want to get what suits my needs best; I plan on having this bike for a long time. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? Or would you recommend something in a different direction? Thanks for any help/advice you could offer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Clue View Post
    My local shop is an Ibis dealer and Iíd love to support them - theyíre good people.
    Honestly, both bikes are pretty comparable and either would serve you well. Both Ibis and Yeti are forward-thinking designers; any of their sleds will age well. I always tend to lean with the trusted LBS when I reach a fork in the road; i.e. go with the HD3 in this case. Additionally, and this is strictly subjective, I find the Ibis' frame to be more aesthetically pleasing. Let us know what you ultimately choose, and Happy Birthday!

mtbr member
    I've ridden both bikes and I now own the HD3. The Yeti SB6C is pretty much a park/downhill bike. It's crazy slack and not really an all around bike in my opinion. The SB5C on the other hand is a great bike and would be a great choice too. I personally like the HD3 for the handling, pedaling efficiency, aesthetics and Ibis customer service. The bike absolutely shreds; especially with the 741 wheels.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks a lot for the replies and advice, guys. I've pretty much eliminated the SB6 (but not the 5) and am heavily leaning towards the HD3; but I'm also considering the Yeti ASR C with its shorter travel. The longer travel bikes will serve me well on some of the trails I ride but would be overkill on others.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    The ASR C will ride more like your Kona Satori. If you haven't ridden a 6" enduro bike like the SB6 and HD3, definitely demo one before you buy. They are both fantastic bikes but they may feel slow climbing and slow steering to you based on your current rig. It will take some getting used to. Also, make sure to really spend time getting the suspension dialed when you demo, if you don't you'll get a false impression of the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice. Thanks!