mtbr member
    Jul 2005

700 dollar budget...

I'm brand new to the sport and don't wanna start off with the wrong bike.

I can't spend any more than 800 and I'm looking for something around 700 which gives me a bit of extra cash to buy some gear.

I plan on riding trails, doing little drop offs, and switchbacks and that type of stuff... I'm interested in full suspension, but I'm more concerned with getting a bike that won't fall apart in a couple months, so I understand the value in good components...

I'm not looking for a used bike, and I know that most likely, for around 700, I'm going to be looking at hardtails instead of FS. I would appreciate some links to good bikes around my price range.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That was my price range too...

I held out, saved up a bit more cash, sold my old bike on Ebay..

I got a last years model Fisher Cake 3 brand new (Full Suspension) for $900.

My advice is to save up some more money, and drop it on a discounted FS bike...

Unlike what most people will tell you...If you're spending 1000 or more on a bike, as long as the bike fits, and you're not a totall weight weenie/snob, any bike by any well-known bike maker is going to be great...they're all making such great bikes, it's hard to go wrong.

Save up the dough, find a good deal (become friendly w/you LBS...sales will start soon!

Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I second the above idea. Go used, check the local classifieds and ebay. The 800$ isn't going to buy you much of a Full suspension bike from a LBS. But will go much further on a used bike.